Anyone have a deaf dog?

I just got my childhood dog back from my dad. She is a weanie dog/chihuahua mix and she is 13yrs old and I'm pretty sure she is going deaf. I can call her name and she won't even acknowledge me unless I yell! How do you take care of a deaf dog? How do they know when you call them? When we go outside (we have a big yard so she doesn't have to have a leash) it takes about 3 or 4 times of me calling her for her to even respond! Also, Idk if this has anything to do with her going deaf but at night she'll go outside and just bark and bark at nothing! She doesn't do it during the day so I find it kinda odd!

Ravensmom07

Asked by Ravensmom07 at 12:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Pets

• As they get older, they can have so many issues. You do need to keep her on a leash for her own safety. She could wonder away and get lost.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• She's such a little diva, if you put her on a leash she will NOT use the bathroom! You can keep her outside for an hour and she won't do anything! I've been staying right with her though so she doesn't wander off! Now if we go somewhere I definitely put her on a leash.
    Ravensmom07

Answer by Ravensmom07 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Oh goodness. I feel you. Im goig through the same thing with my dog. Shes 12 years old now. and she doesnt even ackowledge when I call her name, and she doesnt get excited when I come home because she cant even hear me come in. =[ I wish I knew what to do, so Im going to keep reading your question for ome answers also.
    Im with you.
    Ashleigh_17

Answer by Ashleigh_17 at 12:47 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• They can feel vibrations. Try putting coins in a empty soda can a shaking it, it might help. Also, if she's not going blind you can teach her sign language, yes it works I know form experience with a friends dog. My biggest concern would be her running out in traffic and not hearing the cars coming though, just be careful with the cutie.

babymomma0306

Answer by babymomma0306 at 3:27 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I have a deaf dog, but she was born deaf. Because she's always been deaf she watches us way more than our hearing dog and it's not that hard to get her attention. I just have to wave my arms and she'll see it out the corner of her eye and look. She also follows me around way more than the hearing dog and I think it's because she's deaf and can't hear what I'm up to. If I do need to get her attention I just stomp on the floor. This didn't work when we lived in an apartment though as under the floor was concrete instead of wood, but it's nice now in our house. I do keep her leashed or in a fenced in area, although with a 13 year old dachshund, I doubt he is going to go running off. I just wouldn't let him outside without being out there to keep an eye on him. Especially since he's going deaf, he may get in the road and not hear a car until it's too late.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• mine is a deaf rottie.. he can hear some high pitched sounds like when i am yelling at him because i have a higher pitch when i yell so i yell to get his attn, or stomp the floor or wave my arms. i still talk to him, i just made up our own sign language. which my mom says is weird cause i know american sign language. you just have to work on signing as you are talking and as his hearing decreases he will still know what yu want by watching you. i had the opposite prob with my old sheltie, she could hear but went blind
    devonsmom

Answer by devonsmom at 7:03 PM on May. 4, 2009