Is there any way to get a 3yo to stop grinding her teeth at night?

My dd grinds her teeth at night and I'm afraid it might mess them up! She recently had her first dentist appt but it was so crazy I completely forgot to ask him about it! So does anyone have any advice?

Ravensmom07

Asked by Ravensmom07 at 12:38 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would call the dentist and voice your concerns. He may want to see her again to fit her with a mouth guard. You could probably just ask the receptionist to have him call you.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:51 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• omg. my daughter does the same thing. i cant stand it.
    my brother did also, and i swear it wore his front teeth down.
    please if any1 has an answer, can u inbox me with the info also

thanx
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 1:12 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• You cant get her a mouth guard this young, the risks of chocking are too high. Dentists wont give them. Sometimes medical problems cause teeth gringing, other times you just gotta deal with it. I went through it with my 7 & 9 year olds, they eventually out grew it by the time they lost their baby teeth. talk to your dentist or Dr if it is a big concern.
    5isenoughforme

Answer by 5isenoughforme at 1:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Ask your dentist about TMJ its hereditary. My mother had it my dd I have it .
    Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 1:47 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Mine did it till he was 5 or 6. His teeth were all flat edged. So, I don't know.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I just took kiddo to the dentist for this. Nothing they can do. Its a way of "iching" they're new teeth coming in. Thats what the dentist told me anyways. They told me just to let him do it and he'll eventuallly outgrow it.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My six year son does it off and on his back by the sounds of it. The above mentioned of itching new teeth coming in sounds interesting I never thought about it that way.

Now he has to go back to the dentist because his second adult tooth is behind the baby front that has not yet come out! His first baby tooth came out ok and that adult moved in just fine ...sigh!

Daisysun

Answer by Daisysun at 4:12 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I have been a dental asst for 5 years now and see this all the time. it uncontrollable. It will eventually stop on its own though. theres nothing you can do for it. after their adult teeth come in, if they still do it, your dentist will make an occlusal guard to protect the enamel. so hang in there!
    MommyToRylan

Answer by MommyToRylan at 7:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Thanks ladies! It wouldn't bother me that much, but she usually comes into our bed in the middle of the night and sleeps right next to me doing it! When I was little, I had to share a bed with my little brother and he drove me crazy grinding his teeth! Thanks again!
    Ravensmom07

Answer by Ravensmom07 at 11:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I cant even get my 13 year old sister to stop grinding her teeth at night. Usually when I get annoyed I just throw ones of my sons dirty diaper in her face so she stops for a while...lol.
    bisbeesmiley

Answer by bisbeesmiley at 8:54 PM on May. 2, 2009