How can I get my already potty-trained daughter to go poop in the toilet?

My 2 1/2 year old daughter has been potty trained for 5 months, in the last two weeks she's been pooping in her panties! It is driving me crazy! I have tried time out, scolding, but nothing is changing things. She is going to s new daycare in a month, and they require them to wipe themselves, etc. so I need some help fast! Thanks!

amy2368

Asked by amy2368 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Who dumps the poop in her panties into the potty?
    Who does the initial wash of her panties to get most of the poop residue out before they go into the washer?
    Who cleans off her legs and bottom?

You don't need to do these things in a mean, punishment way. Just do them in a gentle "You are big enough to clean up your messes" way. Most kids, especially girls, want nothing to do with touching poop.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• After the novelty of using the potty and getting rewarded wears off, sometimes young ones will do this. She is a busy two year old and may not want to stop what she is playing to go and use the toilet. Especially #2, which can take longer. I would restart your reward system for going poop in the potty and also watch her for signs. Most little ones have a posture or facial expression that SIGNALS a mom that the child is having a BM. As soon as you see that Signal, hurry her to the potty and have her sit down. Talk quietly to her and praise her for being a big girl. Reward her with stickers or whatever she really LOVES and WANTS! Take a positive approach to get her back on track
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:43 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My daughter wasn't potty trained until four (started reading the same time, go figure). The toilet can be a very scary place. Seeing something that you made go down the swiling hole can be terrifying to a child.
    Be patient.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Don't scold her for pooping in her panties. More often than not, a child will stop trying if scolded because they associate the whole "potty training" thing with the bad feeling they get when they're in trouble.. Instead, why not try making a "CLEAN PANTIES AWARD CHART?!" LoL yeah, I know it sounds silly but if your daughter starts to associate using the potty like a big girl with good things, she WILL try harder...and it'll be A LOT easier for you;)
    ~Lana~
    EllasMommy2009

Answer by EllasMommy2009 at 9:20 AM on Apr. 30, 2009