If the argument against gay marriage is because of religious reasons then why should married people get government rights?

Isn't that against MY constitutional right to the seperation of religion and government?

MILFInProgress

Asked by MILFInProgress at 1:01 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Because no matter how badly anyone doesn't want to admit it the American country was founded on religion, and there is religion everywhere in it. The Supreme Court is FULL of uptight old Christians whose religion effects their views. According to the constitution, well gay people would have been allowed to marry ages ago. Look at slavery, and black rights. We have a GAY RIGHTS MOVEMENT. Thats just messed up... Let them marry! I want my son to have friends with 2 moms or 2 dads.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 1:05 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Ok, well what if you're opposed to it for non-religious reasons? What if you met someone who is an atheist and their opinion of gays is that it's unnatural and disgusting?

What would you say to someone like that... if you couldn't blame it all on being religious???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• That's what I want to know!

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 2:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I would probably have to phone a friend and tell them I am about to get into trouble....cause my a$$ is about to get into a fight. JK
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I'm Pagan and so is my husband. We believe in a commitment for "as long as the love shall last." Plenty of people hate our views on that... and yet we're "allowed" to be married by people who shouldn't care at ALL what my husband and I do with our lives, and our heathen, non-lifelong commitment doesn't change a damn thing about those peoples' marriages... therefore, allowing marriage between gays should be NO different than allowing marriage between Pagans, right? After all, the people who have a problem with gays almost always have a problem with Pagans and our commitment as well.

Personally, I'd still be happy if I had a CIVIL UNION with my husband, and the religious freaks can just keep their WORD "marriage" if it means SOOOOOO much to them to keep their narrow-minded definition.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:23 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• great question and answer! btw above, this nation called america (i must always use true terminology as the land was stolen, so the land was not christian, but the occupiers who began a nation here is in ?), was founded by people who originally were seeking wealth as they were funded by corporations to find assets, and then the pilgrims were lured to expand the occupation/settle the land on behalf of England, with the promise to freely dwell with their religion, without recourse from the strict Church of England (roman catholic). The founding fathers (as they are known for the writing of the constitution) were indeed wiser than the masses because they were educated, studious thinkers. Their is no question that being thinkers whose minds were able to conclude with that great document, they had to be non-religious. Its inevitable. When your thoughts transcend the "box" you are automatically not religious. You may be spiritual.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

Uhhh, yeah.........................

How's Edgar Allen today?...........................................................................

Good Lord, save us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 6:26 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Their is no question that being thinkers whose minds were able to conclude with that great document, they had to be non-religious.

REWRITE HISTORY ANY???????????????????

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 6:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• This is the reason that America is slowly crumbling. Because , "brought forth upon this great nation," is greed, separatist views, lack of empathy, superiority of the Catholic and Christian right and a lack of accountability as doctrined by the ever present government bashers. Have you ever heard of organized anarchy? Probably so, but b/c we will never sidestep our personal views in order to save the common good, we will continue to let the gay marriage issue be the blanket that covers all of this country's other issues. Gays should be allowed to marry, the separation of church and state should be ever present in our laws and we should stand up for our right to our pursuit of happiness and not have to fork over our earnings to a government who spends without restraint. Whatever happened to united we stand and divided we fall?
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 9:14 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I agree with RanaAurora.
    Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 9:57 AM on Apr. 30, 2009