when should I switch to a front facing carseat?

My son is 8 months and weights about 22lbs... it's getting so hard to carry him in the infant carrier and I was always told on his 1st bday was when you switched....

So I want ya'lls opinion.. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At least 1 year AND 20lbs, as a minimum. But is your child only worth the minimum in safety standards? If you want more for your child, then research extended rear facing.

After the infant seat, you go to the convertible seat, which does both rear and forward facing. Some of the best seats that are worth the money are the Cosco Scenera, Evenflo Triumph Advanced, Compass True Fit, Britax Marathon, or Britax Boulevard..
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 8:06 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• You should buy a convertible seat. Why do you carry him in the infant carrier instead of just taking him out of the carseat? It is so much easier and so much less to pack around. You need to keep your baby rear facing until 1 (at the minimum) and 20 lbs.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yea. Im pretty sure it is 20lb. My son is 28lbs and the doc told me he could face forward a long time ago.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It does not just go by weight, it goes by age too. If your child is under 1 then BY LAW they have to be rear facing-whether they weigh 20 lbs or 50 lbs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Dont turn him around yet! Rear-facing is so much safer and is now being recommended by the AAP for at least two years. Buy a convertible carseat and leave your child rear-facing til they hit 35 pounds. Just google rear-facing vs. forward-facing and you'll get a ton of information, or join some of the carseat safety groups here on cafemom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• You need to buy a convertible seat, and keep him rear facing. The bare minimum is 1 year AND 20 lbs.

But in my opinion no child is a Minimum.

You should keep him Rear Facing to the Maximum allowance of a convertable carseat. That is usually 35lbs. and 2 years.

Devory

Answer by Devory at 2:25 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that the child be 20 pounds AND one year of age before switching them to a forward facing car seat.
    InfectiousSmile

Answer by InfectiousSmile at 2:47 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bsafety/0,,3q6v,00.html
    InfectiousSmile

Answer by InfectiousSmile at 2:53 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It is strongly recommended everywhere that a baby be at LEAST 20lbs and one year before going forward facing. It is the law in some states, so be sure to check your state laws.

He's at the max for the carrier and should be rear facing for at least 4 more months, so I'd suggest purchasing a convertible carseat. They go rearfacing, forward and most now will also convert into a belt positioning booster.

The best one is the one in which the baby fits correctly (and comfortably) and which fits correctly in your vehicle. The seat should still recline at 45 degrees rear facing when installed, so it's not much different in that aspect than the carrier.

(I gave up on the carriers at 4 months! lol TOO heavy!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:21 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It's typically state law for 1 year and 20 lbs. BUt it's safest to do rear facing as long as possible. There are many resonabily priced convertable car seats that are forward facing up to 35 lbs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Apr. 30, 2009