Why do moms lie about being married?

They say "my husband" or "we were married" or "we're married" when they really aren't married. I really don't understand it. Have you ever done this? If so, Why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I personally don't lie about it. I'm honest about the fact that my now boyfriend is not the father of my unborn daughter and that I was not married to her father, but I understand where some women, especially in their late teens early twenties would lie about it. It can stem from any number of reasons, including religion and other people's disgust. Even though I don't lie about it I have had a number of women ask me "Oh, and how does your husband feel?" When we're out, people always assume my boyfriend is the father, and it usually doesn't bother either one of us, but I do get ired of people assuming he is or that I'm married.
    Squeakette

Answer by Squeakette at 4:47 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i havent, but maybe they dont want to be judged about having a child out of wedlock?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• hm idk.. its kinda weird... lol.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yeah, I Can see the not being judged thing. But is it better to be judged just on one then having a child out of wedlock and lying? I had my child out of wedlock
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• well if youre never going to see the person again i dont think it matters so much. like to a lady on the sales floor of a department store or something... im the first anon BTW. im married so i havent done it but i could see why someone would
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I had my son out of wedlock and I am not ashamed nor lie about it. I was married then got divorced, reconciled with ex-husband and "thought" we would re-marry, in the meantime I got pregnant at 28 with my one and only child. I am not ashamed, at least I could say I was ONCE married to his dad. lol.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I am not married but it depends on who I am talking to...if I am talking to some one I dont know and for example, shopping for my DF's mom, I would say MIL just so I dont have to go through the whole story with the baby in the stroller next to me...avoiding the question from a complete STRANGER of "do you plan on actually getting married?"
    Or on the phone with a company we both use together, I will have to consult my "husband" first. Its just easier that way.

If it is some one I know, I just refer to him as "Nate."
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Some people may define marriage differently than you do. The state of Colorado for example will consider a couple legally married (common law) if they simply represent themselves as such to other people. They don't even have to have a ceremony, but can be subjected to the same divorce process as those who had a ceremony.

In some states you can also do a "self marriage" which involves preforming any ceremony you see fit and signing the marriage license with two witnesses then mailing it to be registered. My aunt and uncle did this and had a dinner as their "ceremony." No vows were exchanged. But they are legally married in the eyes of the state and identify as "wife" and "husband"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I have five kids. My boyfriend and I have 2 together. I used to always refer to him as boyfriend but people look at me strangely and ask too many questions. When I call him my husband I don't get so many questions about the number of kids I have or who their father is. I don't like to lie, but when I'm with my daughter's cheerleading team or something like that I don't like for people to ask questions and make my kids feel uncomfortable. You would be surprised at the bold and disrespectful questions I've been asked by strangers.
    Tagred

Answer by Tagred at 2:06 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• ha ha i know were you got this question from "ashleigh" and she said that because it is better then say i am 17.....i have been married but now i am divorced and I have a baby
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Apr. 30, 2009