How can I save on my sewer bills?

Hello. I have been working to cut back on my utility bills. I have done well with water, gas and electric but my sewer bills have crept up a little bit. Truthfully, I don't know exactly what I'm paying for with the sewer bill so I'm not sure what else I can do besides monitor my water use. Can someone give me any advice or educate me?! Thanks!

Paulah76

Asked by Paulah76 at 1:47 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• ours is just a flat monthly charge, so i dont really know. try using the Fockers method. if its brown, flush it down. if its yellow, let it mellow.
    jody1130

Answer by jody1130 at 1:49 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Sewer is any time you have water going down a drain. Washing machine, dishes, toilet, showers... that sort of thing. I dont' know if it's just a flat rate or what, you might want to talk to your city about what exactly you're being charged and for what.

If it's a per usage thing you could follow the old addage "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down" :p We used that religiously when we were on septic tanks when I was growing up. Saved us a lot of hassle with having them pumped (we were a big family). You can also make sure that you wash a full load of clothes and wear clean clothes again. Like jeans. They usually don't need to be washed every day. And if you have a dishwasher, wash a full load of dishes. Cram as much as you can in there!

That's all I got :( Sorry.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:52 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If you aren't paying a flat rate you can do simple things like purchasing a a low flow shower head, putting a brick or 1 liter filled bottle in your toilet tank to reduce the water usage when you flush, take baths instead of showers, put as many clothes are you can in the washing machine, as many dishes as you can in the dishwasher, turn the water off when brushing your teeth. If you turn your water on in any faucet and let it run to get hot or cold put a big container under it, catch that water and use it for watering plants or washing dishes, or put it in a pitcher to drink!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If they say the sewage is for water down the drain, why dont you get a "tub" to wash your dishes in, then throw the water outside. Same for rinsing.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Your water bill prob. figures in the amount of sewer, b/c I'm not aware of gauge that monitors sewage use, but then again, thats my experience. In GA, we paid double for sewer based on the amount of water we used. In other words, when we filled our inground swimming pool, we paid for sewage, too!!!

So call your utility co and ask them how your sewage is figured.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:01 AM on May. 1, 2009