anyone have a baby with exema??

ok, i have taken my 1 yr old to the dr many many times(probaly about 7) for the weird rash he has all over his body!!! the first 6 drs said it was a normal thing babies go through and there was nothing i could do!!! the last dr i took him too said it was exema..... they gave him steroid cream and oatmeal bath. its not working though!!! his rash looks like blisters that are bright red and he itches soooo bad!!! he wakes up about 4-7 times a night(at least...sometimes more) from itching so bad! its everywhere! from the top of his head to the bottom of his feet! he has a dermatologist appt in about a week and a half but i just wanted to know if maybe you mommys have ever delt with this or know of anything that might help him not itch!!!!

olivers_mommy7

Asked by olivers_mommy7 at 2:51 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Health

• Both of my daughters have eczema. I bought some some stuff from Bath and Body works called Mustela and it works wonders (they have lotion and body wash). I have tried everything (even stuff the doctors have prescribed) and nothing has worked. There's not anything that is going to cure eczema, but it will help with the itchiness. Also, Cetaphil lotion works really well.

Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 3:02 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Oh, and if they're really itchy I will give them Benadryl before bedtime, because they scratch in their sleep.

Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 3:04 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Some times less baths. Make sure you use natural soaps and body creams. I buy organic products for my babies. Some parents don't really take note to this but a lot of flare ups are because of what they eat. I watch the amount of dairy as well. Since they do like to scratch I keep my babies lightly covered. my youngest wears leggies they work well on arms and legs. Good luck Mama.

MRSnMOTHER

Answer by MRSnMOTHER at 3:11 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Keep him as cool as posible! Heat makes it worse! Try Calamine lotion or benadryl cream/gel.
    Sara722

Answer by Sara722 at 3:39 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I was born with allergic eczema 28 years ago,,,, same scenario( yes, it is a difficult word to spell) non the less even more difficult from the stories I have been been told about how my mother felt dealing with it during my childhood, I am sorry that you have to go through this and I am very very sorry that your child is going to endure a lot of rough times and issues both with their self and socially as well as other kids ... being kids with the harsh things they say and do. It's important that you cover the babies hands if they are small enough if not keep the finger nails cut as often as possible. Benedryl will work but be careful not to over use b/c you dont want to have the tolerance level make the baby immune to it when you have to use it for the severe times, there are all kinds of new options ( i have been researching this a lot lately) . There isn't a cure it is a paternal gene that strongly weighs in on whether the
    SeXxYmOmMiE26

Answer by SeXxYmOmMiE26 at 4:30 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• baby will even have it or how severely. Also the heat is a huge problem... the sweat in the ares like behind the knees or under a baby's creases in skin will be irritated and more itchy... rub... do not scratch, and use fragrance/perfume/dye free everyhing if you can afford it try to use the baby clothes detergent I think its called dreft... the baby will more than like turn out to need special bathes... sun will intensify all complications b/c of the sweat and certain uv rays are good like the ones the dermatologist will talk to you about as one of the options but I was unable to go outside in the sun for more than like 15- 20 mins a a time (depending on the weather). I was allergice to nuts(moreso peanuts, and EVERYTHING to do with it e.g; pnut oil, pb etc. teah(hot and cold) eggs, pretzels(when I was younger, but grew out of it). introduce new foods one at a time so you know what the cause of an allergic reaction is)the ...
    SeXxYmOmMiE26

Answer by SeXxYmOmMiE26 at 4:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• dermatologist is your best defense... there are supposed to be several new options available that work very well and I don't know which ones are right for babies but both my son and I use tridesilon cream or desonide cream( both have worked very well but most creams are steroidal topical oitment and you need to make sure to pay attention to the side affects both short and long term. these cremes come in oitment also and look like vaseline please steer clear of things (any that have that type of feel to them b/c in my experiences they made me itch more, ) also babies skin will react to season changes pet danders and dust depending on the severity of the disease. And remember that self esteem will become an issue at one point or another b/c of other kids and even adults... please dont allow anyone to make even the smallest of jokes.... it hurts really bad and also... oatmeal baths are a good one if you do it all the time...
    SeXxYmOmMiE26

Answer by SeXxYmOmMiE26 at 4:43 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• patting the baby dry as opposed to like hmmmm like rubbing down and causeing moreflakes is better and always try to keep the baby dry to reduce the irritaions... when i was very small i scratched a whole lot to the point where when I got my p.j. on after they dried and stuck to me, if this happens don't freak out put the baby in a warm baby(luke warm is better not hot... they say the colder the better but not too cold as to make the baby uncomfortable(I am not sure why though) let the clothes soak off... after you see the doctor and confirm this is what it is... ask for the referrals you need to get as much knowledge as possible and the best treatments... google the heck out of it and talk to the dr. about solutions you find that you feel may benefit... it goes away ... late teen years (not nearly all the way though but a very vast improvement... make sure the teenager understands that it will come back and most likely just as
    SeXxYmOmMiE26

Answer by SeXxYmOmMiE26 at 4:49 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• badly around the thirties.... but by then hopefully well before even the expeerts willl have an even better way of taking aways the signs of it... please feel free to contact me if you have any questions in relation to anyting dealing with this, i dont care if your child is 1,8,14,23.... I can share a lot of first hand knowledge that the doctors can't... such as the emotions, what maybe would have made me feel less anxiety about my disorder( please if your chid goes to school and has an issue or doesnt want to go... find out if they are being teased... kids do not understand , so they alient name call, beat up pick on in many different ways . I am not a doctor at all I just have personal knowledge of this skin diseas and can tell you what it was then what its like now and how it feels to have it slowly coming back. Anything medincinal should be run by the dermatologist and anything you find on the internet also(you know)
    SeXxYmOmMiE26

Answer by SeXxYmOmMiE26 at 4:55 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Hi,
    My son has bad eczema as well. I have tried the steroids and creams and all they do is age the skin. Eczema is an allergy within the immune system and lack of vitamins. I changed my home over to all natural products and use Renew cream and have it under control. Everyone today can't get the proper nutrition the body recommends so I also have him on a nutritional supplement called Reliv which is feeding his body balanced nutrtion the body requires daily. I have heard nothing but great stories about how Reliv has enhanced children's lives as well as adults. I take the Reliv for my fibro and am able to lead a normal life. If you are interested in changing your home over please contact me.
    Nancy
    lovemy2kidsfor

Answer by lovemy2kidsfor at 7:27 AM on Apr. 30, 2009