Should I keep my kids home form school because of Swine Flu?

The neiboring county to the north has known cases and a probible case in my county. Both my kids have asthma. Iam a worrier so some advise please.

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 3:26 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would ask thier doc. See how many cases he is aware of first. If kids are getting it in your area, he would know. But if they are that close I would say yes. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I agree with the previous answer! Better save than sorry! Call their doctor---ask his or her advice.
    kgck_momma

Answer by kgck_momma at 3:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• thanks ladies I can sleep now.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:43 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I was reading the news, and they suggested that if people in the area start getting it then to start taking kids out of school and such! I have asthma and also have children, Im just taking many precautions like hand washing or using hand sanitizer constantly (I bought TONS and TONS of hand sanitizers at the dollar store!)- keeping us all away from large crowds- washing toys often- keeping them super educated about NOT SHARING DRINKS or ANYTHING with anyone else- reminding them to not get too close to anyone (to avoid being coughed/ sneezed on) etc... I think that if you take the right precautions when it hasnt actually reached your area then you are okayl! BUT that is a decision YOU need to make! Do what you feel you should do! If it worries you that much, then like the others said, it is better to be safe than sorry!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:53 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I'm scared too : (
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 5:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i would say if the kid(s) are showing signs of the flu im calling my doc to see if they need the flu shot.
    lienna

Answer by lienna at 8:01 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It is recommended that if 1 person in your area or school district get it that the entire school district close. Fort Worth public schools are closed now being the largest district in the nation to close. It won't be long before all schools are closed.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:30 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Hm,i agree..only you can truly make the decision to pull your children out of school...here...the flu vax made us sick the 2yrs.we did it,so we are not/did not get it. I don't mean,mildly sick,I mean...SICK,like in bed for a week sick. I'll take my chances without the vax,step up on the handwashing,coughing into elbows...hand santizing...sanitizing doorknobs,etc.
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 8:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• There is no shot for the swine flu.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I would only keep my kids home if they were either sick, OR the school closed
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:04 AM on Apr. 30, 2009