how could she say this??? what are your thoughts?

Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-N.C.) has taken the rhetoric to a new level, claiming that those who say Matthew Shepard was murdered in Wyoming for being gay are perpetrating a "hoax" on the American people."I also would like to point out that there was a bill -- the hate crimes bill that's called the Matthew Shepard bill is named after a very unfortunate incident that happened where a young man was killed, but we know that that young man was killed in the commitment of a robbery. It wasn't because he was gay. This -- the bill was named for him, hate crimes bill was named for him, but it's really a hoax that that continues to be used as an excuse for passing these bills," said Foxx.
I cannot even begin to imagine what was going through this nut job’s mind when she said this! How can you dishonor someone’s memory like that???? People like her are the reason that there is so much hate towards homosexuals in this country!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• but we know that that young man was killed in the commitment of a robbery. It wasn't because he was gay

THAT IS COMPLETE BS!!!! The police report and the confession by aaron mcckiney clearly stated that he did this to "teach gay people a lesson"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I think she is wrong. I sent her an email comment on her website.
    myame

Answer by myame at 7:11 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• That woman is a lunatic!!! Everyone know the reason he was killed, it has been made public for a great long time now, since one of the attackers confessed and said it was to "teach a lesson to gays." Hello!!! You don't get any more plain than that. It was a HATE CRIME. And Foxx needs to get the stick out of her butt, the cotton out of her ears, and pull the wool off of her eyes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Let me guess, she also thinks the Holocaust was a myth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Unfortunately alot of people think that 8:34 or they say the amount of Jews slaughtered was much less then history says.Bunch of bull

Anyway,if the guy confessed and said it was because Shepard was gay then it is what it is.I may not agree with the lifesyle or gay marriage but I do not promote acts like this either.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Well, R.N.C.. you now have your own version of Nancy Pelosi. Congrats and enjoy the ever present foot in her mouth.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 9:07 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Right, because robbers hang around to beat their victims, tie them to a fence, and torture them. That poor kid went through hell and the only solace his family has is that it started a movement that would hopefully stop this disgusting behavior. You're right, it is a total outrage that anyone would call this a hoax.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I agree with beckcorc.
    Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 9:45 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It has more to do with homophobia and racism: believing that it is acceptable to committ acts of violence and if you get caught then the punnishment shouldn't be any more severe than if it was not based on hate for someone's gender, sexual preference, or race. It sends a message to people that we as a society are okay with racism, homophobia, sexism, ect... being the motivation for why someone was hurt or worse. Well, lets see if she gets voted back in. It says a lot more about the people in her district than it does about her if that happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• There are coots on both sides of the political fence. It doesn't mean they are all coots.

I think what happened to that young man was terrible and it is my understanding that it was a hate crime.

I do not agree with the OP's statement. "People like her are the reason that there is so much hate towards homosexuals in this country!!" There is no basis for that.

I am very much against homosexuality. However, I don't care what people do in the privacy of their bedroom. That is their business. For me, the problem lies with the constant push of that lifestyle. I am tired of having it shoved into my face. I don't shove my heterosexuality at anyone. I am okay with civil unions but livid with the invasion into my faith regarding marriage.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2009