• In the Spotlight:

My kids need more sleep... HELP!!!!

I have a 2 1/2 year old son & a 5 1/2 year old daughter & thanks to my horrible work hours (fri-sun 4pm to 4am) they go to bed late & wake up late, because that is what I do, Im used to my work schedule! Neither of them takes a nap but they should! I just need to get them on a regular 'kid' sleeping schedule! My daughter starts kindergarten this fall & I am stressing about her not getting enough sleep & about her sleep schedule as it is now! Its not healthy!!! Its SUPER hard for me to go to bed early since Im so used to staying up all night and then sleeping in... but Im DESPERATE!!!! Do you have any suggestions to get me & my kids to bed early so that we can get up earlier in the mornings & have sleeping schedules like 'normal' people? My husband is on a regular sleeping schedule though- so with the kids on MY schedule its hard for him when sunday night comes around! PLEASE HELP! Your advice & help is MUCH APPRECIATED!

sxc_mom_of2

Asked by sxc_mom_of2 at 4:19 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• during the week start putting the kids to bed early and you can stay up if you want to. having to get up earlier the next morning with them will force you to get to bed earlier the next night because you are so sleep deproved. Ta-da! your new sleep schedule :) i'm assuming that since they are on your schedule, you get out of bed at the same time. so it's going to be hard to function if they are up at 7 am every day when you have only had a couple hours of sleep. and on the weekend when you are working, have your husband put the kids to bed early on sunday night. on monday morning, have your 2 yo watch some cartoons and try to get in a little more sleep when you get home. so monday will hopefully be the only day you feel sleep deprived. that is if your husband is home on the weekends so you can sleep in after work. did i make sense?
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 4:44 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Ive tried for the past two weeks getting them to bed sooner... its a nightly struggle that keeps us all up until about 1am or so, which makes us sleep in all day! Ugh!!! Also... I could sleep through a marching band if I was tired enough lol- so not only is it hard to get to bed early, but getting up early is another HUGE problem!!! But my kids are able to wake me up- in fact the only reason why I wake up in the morning is cause my kids wake me up! lol sad huh?
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 4:53 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Well you need to put them in the bed at 8 pm or 9 pm and it's bed time no drinks, no books time for bed. Yes it will be hard for the first few days to a week but trust they will go to sleep. By the way if you stick to it in a month your children will not even no how to keep there eyes open past 9:30pm. It does take alot from everyone but it will work just stay with it..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My boys are now almost 5 and 13 months. We now have them on the same schedule, 7-7:30pm is getting ready for bed and lights out. Try moving the bedtime upi a little bit at a time for the kids. You can try 15-30 minutes at a time. It will be hard at first but with each time it should get a little easier. And if you start now it will be easier for your daughter when she starts kindergarten.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 8:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Thank you all for your help!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2009