Has anyone had to educate your children in a country where they speak a foreign language?

I am homeschooling my children in a country where the language is Portuguese. Has anyone had a similar experience. Any suggestions on how to make the best of it? Please share your experiences.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Embrace the culture! A cultured child will grow up less likely to be racist and likely to be rather intelligent because of the many cultures he/she has to embrace everyday. If you are finding it hard to teach both English and Portuguese...try flash cards, make silly fun games. search the internet for many more ideas as well! Good luck!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:26 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• 1) Realize that you and your children are the ones speaking the foreign language.

2) Use the opportunity to learn about and teach the children about a culture other than your own. Incorporate things about the country into your daily routine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The only recommendation I would have is to use this as an opportunity to teach them the language. It will never be easier than it is now, while they're young, and surrounded by people that speak it!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• So far, I've learned that they pick up the language the fastest when they are playing with friends here and when we have company in the house that speaks only portuguese. I just have a hard time teaching everything they need to learn without depending on my English...I know I really should be focusing more on the portuguese. Although, they do seem to pick it up more naturally as opposed to me.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2009