AFRAID OF STORMS

I THINK MY SON IS SCARED OF THUNDERSTORMS THE OTHER DAY WE HAD A STORM IN OUR AREA I HAD JUST PUT MIKHAIL DOWN FROM HIS NAP WHEN THE THUNDER GOT REALLY LOUD(IT SHOOK THE HOUSE )I HEARD HIM SAY MOM AND WHEN I WENT IN TO CHECK ON HIM HE HAD COVERED HIS HEAD WITH THE BLANKET. HOW CAN I KEEP HIM FROM BEING AFRAID?

liadotwtd

Asked by liadotwtd at 5:44 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tel him that the clouds have to move there living room around so thats what all that banging is and then when he gets older you can explain clearer what is really going on. GL
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 5:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It's sort of hard to explain anything to them at this age...try making up a story like the pp did but to his knowledge. My son knows about dogs and barking, I would tell him its puppies playing in heaven or something....or just simply encourage him to relax and let him know its all right! GL.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:05 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Also dont forget - this is just a phase.
    Hey even I get scared when thunder is REAL loud....
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 7:11 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• This is very normal. What helped with my daughter was turning it into a game. Every time we heard thunder, we would yell BOOM as aloudly as we could.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• if u go to church at all or talk to him about that kinda stuff...i remember my grandma telling me jesus is bowling lol sounds crazy but we belived it!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• my 2 yr old daughter is scared of storms also. I tell her its the angels bowling. (it didnt help) but she keeps repeating are the angels going to bowl tonight. She usually ends up in our bed LOL
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 2:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2009