Insomnia- have you/are you dealing with it?

Ok, so on and off throughout my life I've dealt w/ bouts of insomnia. For the last 2 months or so it's back. It's not major- a lot of times I can fall asleep at about 3-4 am, so I do sleep a few hours a night. Other times I'm up until 6-7 am or later. I don't want to take prescription meds b/c of all the bad side effects and have tried just about everything else. What are some other methods I can try? I'm tired all the time, but when I lay down to go to bed I just can't sleep. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks ladies!

dannydawna

Asked by dannydawna at 6:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Health

• I tell myself that even just lying there quietly is resting my body. I take a single tylenol to try to stop possible pains that don't even come to my awareness. I practice relaxing breathing- breathe in slowly, visualize that you are drawing all stress into your lungs and breathe out all of the stress slowly. I also do progressive relaxation- do the breathing and then relax the soles of your feet, relax your toes, relax the top of your feet, relax your ankles, and so forth- relax each small group of muscles all the way to your tongue, eyes, forehead, scalp. breathing out the tension in each area, and checking that each area is still relaxed. This not only relaxes you but also makes your mind focus. If your attention wanders, gently bring it back.

Answer by Bmat at 7:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i had the same problm i would go to bed at 10 and fall asleep by11pm by 1230am i was wide awake and would toss and turn and would fall back to sleep maybe 4-5am and have to get up at 6:55am. so i was tired. i talked to my doc and she did prescribe me ambian generic brand and its nice i take one and about an hour later im ready for bed and asleep and tend to sleep threw the night and even if i only get 6 hours sleep i wake up feeling like i got 9 hours and ready to take on the world. i havent had anyside affects they can be additive so i take them for 3 days the dont take them for 2. and when its time for a refill im not loike OMG i need them i can wait if i have to. you can also try warm milk with some honey just heat up some milk to a light simmer and add honey for a lil flavr its pritty good. good luck hope you get some sleep xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:01 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I had the same problem. I had tried prescription sleep meds and i was looped all day. My doc told me try all natural melatonin. It's over the counter 5mg I don't have to take it every night and it's considered a diatery supplement.
    originalzademom

Answer by originalzademom at 10:11 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• my home based business has a product called Fast 2 Sleep. Wonderful. My MIL uses this and loves it. First time she has slept well in years. You can take a look at   www.mywaiora.com/493761  Message me if you like what you see and I can show you how to get discount pricing  Mary

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 2:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2009