HOW TO GET MY 3 YEAR OLD TO WIPE HER OWN BUTT.

betty6779

Asked by betty6779 at 7:06 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried wet wipes? I used those with mine and just told them to keep wiping until clean with a new wipe each time. Don't flush them even though they say flushable though, they will clog at some point.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:10 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Sorry, mine was six or seven.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:53 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My son is 4 almost 5 and we are still slightly working on it but it is getting better. We use the Kandoo wipes from Pampers and we flush ours. But we have a 3 wipe limit before each flush. Once he thinks he is done we come check to make sure. It helps if they get a sticker or a small treat afterward to encourage them to do it themselves. (IMO)
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 7:55 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Practice practice practice. It's a learned skill and lots of kids don't master it until 5 or 6 - just in time for school. My son is almost 4 and still working on it. Only recently figured out that he needs to wipe up the crack and not just the cheeks. Be patient and give her opportunities to practice.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Mine tries, but he still needs help
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 11:55 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I've finally just finished going through the same thing with my oldest. he'll be 4 in a couple weeks. I just got frustrated and told him he needed to do it himself cuz he was a big boy. it was rocky for a few days but I just told him I wasn't gonna wipe him anymore or I would do it if he did it first to check and make sure he did it well enough. now he doesn't ask for help.
    saralouise

Answer by saralouise at 7:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My daughter is 4 and she still needs help. I am sure your child will get it soon, just keep showing the way and let them use wipes and get a little reward, like a sticker, or a story with mom or special cartoon or something.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2009