• In the Spotlight:

How many children who just turned 3

lets say from Jan. on can write their name? This skill seems to advanced for a 3 year old.

CloverE

Asked by CloverE at 8:12 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Writing in general is a detailed fine-motor skill. It requires a lot of hand and arm control to be able to use a pencil to form such detailed things. Writing also requires that a child know her letters (at least the ones in her name) and have learned the letters in her name.

Kids develop at different rates. Some excel at fine motor skills, some like large motor skills. Some kids love to learn the odd things adults find interesting (letters, numbers, etc), some don't. In general, by age 3, most kids can recognize a few letters. Many kids still enter kindgergarten not knowing all of their letters despite lots of work with mom. They just aren't interested. This is why "gifted" programs don't start until after a child has been in school for a year or two - before school starts, you can NOT tell who is gifted and who just isn't interested yet.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Both of my daughters could write their first and last name when they turned 3.
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 8:17 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My son can write his name and has been able to for some time. He is now 4.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 8:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My son turned three in December. He started writing his name the previous October (34 months).

It is an advanced skill for a three year old. My 3 year old is in OT and she had a fit when he started doing it. He's also writing several other words he can spell.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:23 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My daughter turns 3 in two weeks and doesn't know any of the letters. She can sing the song but can't really recognize them yet. My boys started writing their names cloesr to 4.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Uh no!LOL My son turned 3 in march and he cant draw a good circle yet!We are still working on shapes and colors...Ill wait till we accomplish that before moving on.Id hate to push too much at once.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 1:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2009