How does the baby get in your belly mommy?

My 5 year old asked me this the other day when I found out I was pregannt. I told her we would talk about it later. What do I tell her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We told our 4 year that mom and daddy together make magic. I told him when he is a little older I will try to explain it better to him. My son is very talkative and will tell everyone all our business and that is why we are careful what we say. Just like when he asked where the baby comes out. I don't mind telling him about where the baby comes out but I tried to avoid the word vagina because I knew we would be in the store later and he would be telling everyone that my mommy's baby came out of her vagina and saying vagina whenever he could. And that I didn't want.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• At 5 she wont understand so you can tell her pretty much anything you want. Tell her the doctor game you special mommy pills to that only a mommy can have and once you take them a baby grows in your belly. I don't know.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:30 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Tell her that when mommy and daddy love eachother very much so God extended our love and blessed us with a baby.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 8:32 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Ask her where she thinks babies come from. I did that with my son. He has a whole theory and explains everything with his hands and acts it out. He is a trip. As long as he is comfortable with his theory I'm not gonna discourage it.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:44 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I told my kids, one was three when second pregnancy started and one was four when third pregnancy started, that God and mommy and daddy love each other very gently and plant a baby in mommy like a seed is planted to grow into a flower in a flower pot. A miracle flower grows from a flower seed and a miracle baby grows from the seed put into mommy. I said it didn't hurt mommy. It put the focus on the seed baby growing in mommy like a flower seed grows outside or in a flower pot. My older kids each time were happy to help me 'grow' the baby plus we also really planted flowers outside and in flower pots to grow. Every thing was focused on 'grow' not who put the baby in mommy and how.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Honesty, honesty, honesty. The old "special type of hug that only mommy's and daddy's share" can work. But if you don't satisfy her curiosity, she will ask kids at school. Those kids range in age from 5 to 12. Many of them are already getting their periods and will know some version of the truth. How much will they get right when they answer her? How much will they get wrong? Be open and honest. Let her know that many people find it embarassing to talk about but that you will always answer her, no matter what. Remember, it is not a one time birds and bees talk. It's a lifetime of discussion. If you plan on one big talk, she will turn to her friends for answers long before you get around to talking and when you do, she won't believe anything you say.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Get the book "where do babies come from girl edition"
    Anonymous

• I said that mommy and Daddy do a special dance when my 5yr old asked. I told him only a married mommy and Daddy could do the dance. He bought it, and I was happy!! : )
    Gosh, I'm so not looking forward to answering these questions in full detail later down the line.
    Firefly1981

Answer by Firefly1981 at 12:54 PM on May. 3, 2009