So, what are your thoughts really about this swine flu?

Last night I received a parent broadcast that my son's school will be closed today and tomorrow because a parent called the school and said she was diagnosed with the swine flu, though is has not been confirmed with the health department yet. We live in Ohio and only one case so far has been confirmed.

Please, whatever your thoughts and opinions are be respectful of one another.

Christine0813

Asked by Christine0813 at 8:27 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am alert but not panicked. I am taking extra hand-washing precautions, for example. Using the wipes provided for the carts in the grocery stores.

Answer by Bmat at 8:30 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• IMO, I think people are just overreacting here in the US.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:28 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• what part of ohio do you live in?
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 8:29 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Euclid.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I think people who think it is all an overreaction are being naive. Children die from the flu and people are seriously ill from this one, even in America. It is spreading like crazy. Should we UNDER react? If people are overreacting how do you suggest we minimize that reaction? Priority should be protecting the American health.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• And I dont think it matters that your state has or hasn't been effected yet. Everyday a new state has a new confirmed case and how do you know that your state won't be the next one? If you knew your state was next, would you change how you feel and wouldn't that be too late? I don't think anyone should "panic" but you should take notice and be more cautious than you might be in a normal cold and flu season.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I think that I am sick and tired of hearing about it. Yes we should all be a little more cautious as to putting our hands near our face without washing them first and all that, but ppl should be doing that anyways. There have been TONS of different flu strains that have broken out over the years...remember the bird flu just a few years ago? I think its ridiculous how the media is literally scaring people to death over it. Just wash your hands a little more than usual. It's nothing to lock yourself in your house about. People die in more car accidents everyday and that doesn't stop us all from driving does it? So why should literally A FEW cases of a flu keep us all from living life? And yes it is only a few cases. There are some 305 million people living in the US and what like 91 confirmed cases of swine flu? That is NOTHING and for some reason everyone is acting like everyone has it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:49 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I think everyone is overreacting. I am entitled to my opinion and I will stick with it. Like Ash said, there are tons of different flu strains. This is just another one.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:52 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I think it's too early to tell. We don't know how dangerous this flu is for pregnant women or those with breathing issues or weak immune systems. It's barely been around for a week. We need more information which unfortunately, will take time. How quickly it spreads scares me though.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 8:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I think that the people who have turned it into the rebirth as prophesized by the Mayan calendar are taking it too far but being concerned is not overreacting. Everyday we have to be concerned about disease b/c of ppl deciding to or not to vaccinate and ppl not taking proper hand washing procedures. Ppl also seem to think that not touching your face and consistent hand washing completely protects you from virus and disease when a vast majority of viruses live in the air, even much after a person who is infected has left the area/room. It is turning into an epidemic and to be cautious is only natural. If it is serious enough for schools to be shut down in instances of infection to be sanitized then it is serious enough for a concerned parent to ask questions about. If we can answer the, "am I pregnant?" and, "are you pro-choice or pro-life?" questions repeatedly, we can be here for concerned parents until the epidemic ceases.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 9:01 AM on Apr. 30, 2009