Swine flu in your family - any planning to treat with Oscillococcinum?

My thinking is that it shortens the duration of the flu beautifully, so this will be my first weapon against the swine flu if it hits my family - anyone have thoughts on this?

Asked by used2chaos at 8:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• i doubt it would work because of the severity of this flu strain. if you suspect that you or your family may have it you should go to the doctor. one toddler has already died from it. you should not take any chances. good luck

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:40 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The toddler who died got sick in Mexico though, and his mom died from it to. They came here for treatment and they probably came too late. But to answer the question, I read on the CDC site that the symptoms of swine flu are very much like that of the regular human strains, and that it can for the most part be treated the same way. So if that is what you would do to treat your family if they were sick during the regular flu season, then try it if they get the swine flu.

Answer by ajguinn at 8:56 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• We don't have it, just thinking ahead...and yes I would take my kids to the doctor immediately - but the homeopathics certainly can't hurt!

Answer by used2chaos at 9:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It is made from duck liver, and that totally grosses me out.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The toddler who died had underlying health problems...they said he also had pneumonia and they were in the states to visit family. It was during the visit when he became ill and they took him in immediately.

If it happens to hit my family, I will take my kids to the doctor and have them treated there.

• If your kids get fever, body aches, chills, sore throat, cough, runny nose then take them to the dr immediately do not just try homeopathic treatments. They may need Tamiflu. But I would ask the dr about the homeopathics while you are there :)

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The CDC is now recommending that ANYONE with any flu symtoms begin taking an antiviral, like Tamiflu, within 48 hours.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:39 AM on May. 1, 2009

• and most doctors are completely ignorant regarding alternative treatments, especially pediatricians.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:40 AM on May. 1, 2009