Going to a waterpark while pregnant?

As far as I know, I am 9 wks preg. on Friday May 1. My family is coming in town (they don't yet know I am preg) and we have tickets for May 17 to go to Wet N Wild (a slide waterpark in Orlando, Fl). By that time, I will be approaching my 12 week being pregnant. Is it ok for me to go down the waterslides while I am there? My fiance thinks there is no reason I wouldn't be able to. He says his ex wife rode rollercoaster w their oldest when she was like 6-7 mo preg and the oldest is totally fine........ANY THOUGHTS from you guys? Can I ride the slides...(maybe as long as I ONLY do the ones where you sit in a raft)

mhtblu

Asked by mhtblu at 8:52 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Wow, I can't believe he let his ex do that and that the park let her as well. They clearly have signs that pregnant women should not even at water parks. I think if it's just a straight slide you will be OK.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I went to a waterpark in Orlando at 20 weeks. There are signs on the slides that specifically say if you are pregnant you should not ride. Well that was like EVERY slide there. So I didn't go down them. It wasn't worth it to me to do something they clearly said you shouldn't do. I did go in the lazy river and wave pool for awhile though. You can look on the signs by the slides or ask a park worker if you are unsure. However I wouldn't recommend doing it anyways if they say not to. Especially so early in pregnancy.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:55 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't! Especially being that early. Just lounge around and soak. Those slides might be too much for a pregnant person as you can get tossed around a little and practically get thrown in the water. Have fun.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:56 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Water slides are different than rollercoasters(no jerking). I wouldn't go on the super steep(straight drop) ones, but the rest are cool. ANYONE THAT GOES ON ROLLERCOASTERS DURRING PREGNANCY PUTS THE BABY AT RISK!!! With all the jerking going on you chance having the placenta detach!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Water slides are fine. Rollercoasters, not so much. You be the judge. You aren't very far along at all.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Thanks for all of your responses so far....I will see. My fiance is prob going to be upset if I don't go down them bc he thinks I am being too precautios. No one will know I am preg at that point...so I haven't yet come up w a good excuse not to ride them. They only way they will know is if they can clearly see a little belly. I am showing a LITTLE (very little)....to most it just looks like a little weight gain...not noticeable to anyone but myself and fiance yet. We will see what I look like in 3 weeks.
    mhtblu

Answer by mhtblu at 9:23 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If it were me, at that point in my pregnancy, I felt nauseous all the time, so I probably wouldn't have wanted to, but if I felt okay, I would have done the tamer slides/rides. My grandma and my aunt both went skiing when they were pregnant, so maybe I am not the best person to answer your question. No one in my family has had rough pregnancies so we might be less cautious than other people when it comes to certain things.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2009