Read this about the toddler who died..

HOUSTON (April 29, 2009)-The state's health officials say the first confirmed swine flu death in the U.S. was a toddler from Mexico City who died in Houston.
The Texas Department says the boy had underlying health problems when he traveled to Texas on April 4.
He was visiting relatives in Brownsville when he developed a fever and other flu symptoms on April 8.
Days later, the toddler was admitted to a Brownsville hospital and then later transferred to a hospital in Houston, where local officials said he died Monday night.
The boy was about 2 years old, officials said.
The Centers For Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the death early Wednesday morning.
*He was from mexico, had underlying problems, and was sick for DAYS before going to hospital. When someone else dies from the US who did take all the precautions then I will really start worrying. But so far no one has died from here.

amy31308

Asked by amy31308 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• yes I knew that boy was from Mexico but when first reported that was not said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• What were the underlying problems?
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I'm curious what they mean by sick for weeks. Did he just seem to have a cold that most of us parents would ignore or did he have a high fever for weeks. That makes a big difference.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 9:06 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It doesn't say, but it says that he had underlying problems when he came here to visit.

My point is.. this is just like flu because no one has died yet of it. While its in the back of my mind worrying about it- I'm not worrying too much because no one died who was from America. That boy may not have died if he would have been taken to the hospital sooner. Especially with the parents being from Mexico and the outbreak is so much bigger.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:07 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Idk small town girl.. I'm going to have to try and find it. My 13 month old son has a cold.. severe runny nose.. but thats the only symptom I'm seeing right now. So I will try and google and get further information.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Every year thousands of people die in the U.S. from the flu, including children. There is a difference here in the type of flu and that we are simply just not prepared. We also don't have the built up immunities that we do with other strains. But underlying health issues complicate any new virus or illness you get because your immune system is already taxed. For example if you have a chronic respitory condition (including asthma), you have some sort of blood disorder, heart condition, born prematurely, ect...then you are more vulnerable to sickness in general. Those parents, and they know who they are, with vulnerable children need to take more precautions (reasonable not paranoid) and watch. Washing hands frequently, having tissues on hand, sanitizer, and even spraying down toys and play areas ALWAYS a good idea even when an outbreak has not occurred.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Over 90 die from the flu each day in the US each year. More than 200,000 are hospitalized and millions get it every year. This is not making me panic. The media and our current administration is making it worse by how they are handling it I believe. Wash your hands and seek medical treatment if necessary. Stay home if you are sick. Common sense goes a long way when it comes to the flu. The 90 people that will die today from the regular flu would have loved preferred the jerk that got them sick had stayed home.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I have to whole heartedly agree with the last statement in the OP. The media is causing mass panic, and its unnecessary.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 10:29 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I might start worrying when the 36,001 st person dies. That is how many people die from the flu every year in the US. This thing is way overblown.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:52 AM on Apr. 30, 2009