How old should a child be before they make the crib to bed switch?

I'm looking for bedroom furniture for my daughter who's about a year and a half and I really don't know if I should buy another crib or if I should go ahead and purchase a toddler bed. How old should kid's be before they're trusted with only guard rails??!
~Lana~

EllasMommy2009

Asked by EllasMommy2009 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was 14 months. We moved out of state and figured we'd make as many transitions at once... crib to bed. Bottle to sippy. Formula to milk. It really wasn't nearly as horrible as I thought it was going to be.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:05 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• IF she is walking go with tot bed! If she falls its only a 4 inch drop. She will be stunned but ok!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:06 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If they are trying to climb out or doing it, it's time for a toddler bed. You can also use a twin or full size bed with rails if you like. We have with both of our boys.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:10 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• We just switched our son from crib to twin bed, he was just too tall, we will be moving soon, so for now the mattress and boxspring on the floor. So far so good!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:15 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• That's totally up to YOU.

Mine were in a regular bed at 15 months, no guard rails. I just put some floor pillows we had on the floor along side the bed. (other side was against the wall)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:20 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I'd keep her in the crib until I thought she could/would try to climb out, but at 18 months I would not purchase another crib. You might be able to use a crib another 6 months to a year, or it might just be another week. I'd go ahead and purchase the toddler bed and just keep her in the old crib until it was time to move up.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• When we moved we switched her to a toddler bed. Since i knew we were moving i didnt do it before. But i had planned too soon because she started jumping in the bed, and could almost reach over the top. It really depends on your child and how you feel.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It is NOT age based.
    You have to judge the dangers in your child's room, dangers in the house, and your child's personality. Yes, falling out of the crib while climbing is a danger. So is falling off the dresser, pulling the bookcase down on top of her, breaking the clothes rod in the closet by swinging on the clothes, pinching fingers in closet and bedroom doors, tumbling down the stairs, breaking bottles and jars in the kitchen, burning down the house while trying to make toast, ruining all the food in the fridge because the door was left open, wandering down the street after figuring out how to undo the lock on the front door.
    You can not watch your child 24 hours a day. You must sleep too. And child proof items are designed to keep INFANTS safe in the few minutes it takes you to notice what they are doing. They are not designed to keep a determined toddler safe when she has hours to poke at the lock.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• You might just want to buy the bedroom set you want and put the mattress on the floor until she's adjusted to sleeping on a bed. Then set up the bed. THe problem you may haveis she's too small to climb up into a bed. Personally, I'd skp the toddler bed. We went from a crib to a double bed and slept our son the "wrong" way on it. WIth the headboard and foot board he didn't fall out and without the box spring he could easily get in and out. (Note: We had to put a piece of plywood under the mattress to provide extra support that the box spring would normaly provide.) I agree that you need to ensure the room is toddler safe.
    Anonymous

• i agree with the other moms. about 14 months is when i moved my son into his toddler bed and he loves it, and he rarley gets out of bed when put down for a nap or for bed time.
    mom1g1b

Answer by mom1g1b at 1:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2009