How did you, or not, involve your older kids in the birth of any younger sibling?

When my middle child was born repeat csec, 10 days in the hospital I was with a infection from the birth of my first baby, our oldest child came to the hospital with us with our sisterinlaw and brothersinlaw and they ate in the cafeteria waiting for baby. When our youngest was born, our older two kids stayed in a nearby hotel room with my motherinlaw until baby born. With the second two babies I delivered at farther away high risk hospitals because I what I went through with my first baby. I told each older child that sometimes babies or mommies are sick when a baby is bornare being at the best hospital can help mommy and baby. When I came home with each younger baby, my older kids were allowed to 'shhhh gentle nap' with me and baby and 'shhhh gentle sit' with me when I fed baby &such. Do you have more than one child? Where was your older one when a new baby was born. Was there sibling rivalry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• When my second daughter was born, my parents stayed at the hospital during the day and brought my daughter in while I was in labor. They took her to my cousins so spend the night when it started getting late and then brought her back up to the hospital the next morning. I let them exchange gifts there...the baby got her a "big sister" shirt and she got the baby a pack of pacifiers. Yes, my oldest was quite jealous for a couple weeks because she was only 3 and used to being an only child. she didn't really understand how everything was going to work, but she adjusted quickly.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:24 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I am about to have my second child, sometime in the next month. I don't know if there will be sibling rivalry but Becka (a little over 2) is very excited about the baby! I am involving her in everything. We are also giving birth at home, and she will be here. Her participation solely depends on her comfort. We have watched birth videos, etc, and she isn't scared. She gets excited. So if she wants to be there for the birth, I would love it. If not, she has her own room to play in, and a friend will be here to help with her if needed.

Dh is going to take her, to pick out a present for the new baby after birth. We will also have a present from the new baby, to her, so that she can feel involved and special. It will be a cute little thing for her, etc.

I nurse so she wont be able to help with that, but she can watch. She will be allowed to help if she wants getting diapers etc. I want her to be as involved as possible. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• When my 2nd was born my oldest stayed with my dad (which is where we were living). She was only 15 months. My husband brought her in to meet her new baby brother the next day after I was rested (I had all c-sections). When my 3rd was born the older two stayed at my in-laws who lived in another state. They were 2 and 13 months and met their sister a week after she was born.
    When my 4th was born the older kids, who were 5, 4 and 3 at the time, sat in the waiting room at the hospital with my husband. We had moved and had no friends or family near by so there was no one to watch them. My husband missed the birth and could only visit 1 hour each day I was in the hospital because he had to stay with the kids.
    With each one after the baby came home they helped a lot (even the toddlers). I've never had any major sibling rivalry or jealousy but I involved the older kids from the day I found out I was pregnant.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• When my youngest was 12 I had a baby and then another 13 months later. My girls were 12 and 15 and my son was 17. My new baby screamed 20 hrs a day for the first 5 months. It was the best advertisement for birth control I could have ever given them! lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:05 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• when i was having my youngest my oldest was 24 and my middle was 17....i was in labor and they came in the room they could have and wanted to stay.when the contractions started to get hard i told them i wanted them to go.i felt as if i couldnt let loose i felt i had to stay the strong mother and i couldnt at that moment.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 11:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• With the first two they were a year apart but I delivered at home on the couch where the oldest watched, along with the whole neigborhood (not planned very fast labor) then I have two more who are "step" children. When we decided to have #5 the older 4 were 10, 9, 9, and 8. the girls decided they wanted to be in the room they were 8 and 9, I was so unsure, but they insisted. Fast forward to delivery (also fast) once the baby was born I look up and my youngest was crying...it scared her, but the 9 year old was ok, I had to have hubby take her out of the room for a while. WIth the 2 other kids that came along nobody but me and hubby went into the room, and my MIL either brought the other kids up or the hubby did later.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2009