• In the Spotlight:

How do you know if you baby is ready for cereal? My baby is 3 months and 4 days old, is this too soon?

Kennedysmom210

Asked by Kennedysmom210 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, too early. Doctor's say 6 months old is when they are ready. Before that, their bodies aren't ready to digest cereal or any other solid. It can cause constipation. It happened to my friend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I started my sons at 4-5 months (or when sitting up on their own). Just be sure to water it down a lot. They will have a gag reflex for a while till thet get used to swallowing something other than milk.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 9:16 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Usually it's recommended to wait until 4-6 months.

Cereal can cause constipation at any age.

They need to be able to hold their heads up at no more than a recline...think about you trying to eat lying down. Not a good idea. lol Sitting with support is better, though.

They may or may not have a gag reflex. Mine never did.

If you give it a try and they keep pushing it out with the tongue, wait a bit. They're not quite ready.

Have the camera ready...those first bites are usually HILARIOUS!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:19 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I know doc' tell ya to wait but both of my children recieved cereal in their bottles at 2 mnths. just enough to thicken them up. they slept better, didn't get consipated ( offer juice one cup daily was eough for us) they are neither one overweight, and no eating problems. my youngest is now 10.5 mnths old. and is happy and healthy. the way i decide weither to give them new foods or not is simple. I know my childrens better than anyone else including doctors you have to trust your insticts. if it doesn't work for your baby you can always stop and tyagain at another time. good luck
    bri1227

Answer by bri1227 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My oldest started cereal that young, but it was with his doctor's go-ahead. My suggestion is that you give the doc a call and ask for their advice. My oldest started early because milk wouldn't satisfy his hunger.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 9:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Wait until 4-6 months. There's really no reason to start before 6 months, but if you really want to you can, but if baby's tongue pushes it right back out, that means he's not ready yet. My first daughter started at 5 months and did great, but my second we gave it a shot for the first time at 6 months and still had the tongue thrust. We waited until 7 months and then she knew exactly what to do... and she chews finger food too!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:44 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My first had cereal starting at 2 weeks. My ped just told me to start my daughter on cereal if I wanted to and she was 3 months. I wouldn't worry about starting now if you feel like it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:46 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't even give cereal. It caused a lot of constipation problems with my DD. Next baby I will go straight to fruits and veggies. Cereal is a filler without a whole lot of nutritional value.

And before 6 months is too early to start any solid foods.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• We started cereal at the same time as that. It was the only thing that would fill him up. He's always been a bigger eater though. He was eating like a 1yo at like 10 months. It's really up to you though. You're the mother, no one else.
    nerdyma7

Answer by nerdyma7 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I had all 5 of my children on ceral at 4 months and then added some applesauce. Make it runny but I don't believe in putting cereal in a bottle, food is food, liquid is liquid. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2009