What does potty trained mean to you?

Just curious because I keep seeing questions about how to get a potty trained child to poop in the toilet. To me that's not potty trained, you've got to pee and poop in the toilet day and night to be potty trained completely.

Crystal1124

Asked by Crystal1124 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Using the potty daily, with minimal assistance (needing help with pants probably) but no more diapers, no more training pants, no more pull ups.

Yes, there will still be the occasional accident especially at night time, but for the most part...they pee and poop in the potty as expected.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:14 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I think that if they pee and poop during the day, they're potty trained. I was a bed-wetter until the age of 12. Yep. TWELVE. I hope my children don't go through that. My point is, though, that some kids just can't control it at night. That doesn't mean they aren't potty trained, though. IMO.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 9:15 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I fully agree with TiccledBlue. Potty trained means I don't buy diapers anymore.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 9:23 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I agree with the OP. Day and night. My daughter was potty trained completely at about 2 1/2 and has only had 2 accidents. I suppose accidents are to be expected, but should be really rare if the child is truly potty trained.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I always considered being potty-trained as meaning the ability to pee and poo in the potty on their own consistently. If consistently is only daytime and not night time, fine - they're consistent and still potty-trained.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Not night time. Thats a totally separate issue. My son is 7 and he wets the bed but hes certainly potty trained. A lot of kids don't get nighttime trained until about age 5. Its a physical thing. But, other than that. yes, its peeing and pooping in the toilet all day everyday without the need for diapers. Accidents happen but they are rare. Thats potty trained. Again...night time is not the same thing.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• my son never pooped in his pants at night,that i can remember,he is 8 now.his poop accidents happened during the day,I tried pull-ups,I said poop on that,lol,I went straight to regular boy underware,he really liked that,it made him feel like a big boy,yes there were accidents but i honestly believe pull-ups are also a diamper and to me it was not training at all.I dont knock any mom who uses them it was just my way of training my son:]:];];];]:]
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2009