• In the Spotlight:

My 3 month old spits up quite regularly. Is this cause for concern?

Kennedysmom210

Asked by Kennedysmom210 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If they're on formula, you might want to talk to the ped about going on soy formula, or a more gentle formula. They could possibly have a milk allergy or reflux problems. Or you could be overfeeding them, either one.

My daughter is just now getting over her milk allergy, she's four months old. She's been on soy formula for two months now, and she takes .5ml of Zantac every 12 hours. It took awhile, but it's worked wonders. She barely spits up anymore.

Just know that there is help out there and that the spit up won't last forever. I KNOW how much it sucks, I've been there =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• As long as the baby is gaining weight and growing you're good! You should talk to ped and see what they want to do!!! They might change the formula and or have you add rice cereal to it.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:21 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I doubt it's an issue with formula, etc. The sphincter muscle that keeps the tummy closed is immaturely developed in ALL babies... but some babies have more problems with it than others. BOth of my girls spit up everything ... breastmilk, baby food, etc. until about 8 months and then it stopped. They stayed right on their growth curves! If weight gain is normal you can assume they're keeping plenty down (even though it seems like it all comes up). Mention it to your pedi at the 4 month check, but I have a feeling doc will say not to worry... Also, my first daughter had reflux, but I learned that the spitting up and reflux are not directly related... she was on reflux meds, which made her feel better, but it didn't affect the amount of spitup. And my second daughter, who does not have reflux, spits up almost as much...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:39 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yea my son projectiled MY milk, and formula. He was put on soy after that, and he still spit up, but wasn't cranky with it. I would only be concerned if eating seemed "painfull" to them, theny ou might want to worry about reflux
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:01 AM on Apr. 30, 2009