Can a milk allergy cause a baby to gain weight slower than normal?

I mean, the ped told me that my 14.5 pound 4 month old is in the 75th percentile (even though I'm not quite sure what that means).

But I can't help comparing her to other kids her age. There are some 20 pound 4 month olds out there...and I feel like my baby girl isn't gaining weight like she should. She's just getting over a severe milk allergy and reflux and spit up problem, think that could have something to do with it?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 9:24 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cait bailey cant drink milk she has to have soy milk and i dont feel that she is gaining weight like she should either. she goes to the doc next month i am going to discuss it with them.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The 75th percentile is good. It means she's above average in weight for other babies her age. As long as her length percentile is the same or close, she's growing good.
    My son had reflux and was on Alimentum, but still spit up until he was 9 months old. He was on meds, too. Like Zantac and Prevacid. He never lost weight, even with all the spitting up.
    If your pediatrician isn't concerned about her weight, then you shouldn't be either.
    Hope this helps!
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• ...Oh. LOL I had no idea what the 75th was, thank you :o] I'm new to this whole thing yanno.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:32 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I am pretty sure that I remember my doctor telling me that they don't start worrying until babies get down to like the 20th percentile (cause Killian had some eating problems until he was about 6 weeks old and was only losing weight) And honestly, I don't think he was 20 pounds until he was almost a year old.
    I always always always compared him to other babies, (and sometimes still compare him to other toddlers) its just a natural mother thing to do I think. Don't worry about it.
    The milk allergy and spit up problem probably has A LOT to do with it. However, if your doc isn't worried about it, I wouldn't worry too much. But if there is something that just doesn't seem right, she is YOUR daughter, you know her best...Take her back to the doctor!! That is what I have done with Killian. And I have always been right.
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 9:46 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• LOL, my daughter fell OFF the charts at 6 months old, and she is perfectly healthy. Don't worry mom, she's fine!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:56 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Your worried about your 4 month old that wieghs 14.5 pounds? WOW that is a great wieght! You should not be worried at all. My DD stopped gaining wieght entirely for almost 4 months. I was giving her 6 or 7 FULL bottles a day trying to get her so start gaining wieght... with in ONE WEEK of starting her on table food last month, she FINALLY gained 4 pounds. She is now almost 20 pounds at 9 1/2 months old.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 10:40 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• it can... but your baby is a perfect weight. A 20 lb 4 months old is HUGE!!! Even my son is a big chunk and didn't weight that much until 7 months.
    Your doctor is talking about her growth chart when he said she was in the 75th percentile... so she is bigger than 75% of children her same age. (a baby girl weighing 20lbs at 4 months would be off the chart! like 150%!)
    If she continues to grow and gain weight I wouldn't worry at all about it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:10 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Thats a great weight! 20 lbs is LOT for a 4 mo old. I had one that weighed about 17-18 lbs and she was a chunk. DON"T compare your child to others. I know its hard but just resist. Let your doc be the one to tell you if shes coming along like she should. Progress is what they look for. Even if they are smaller than average or larger than average, they should stay on a normal pattern of growth. The lines should be slowly progressing upward. So for instance, if they see an abnormal jump in weight, or height, it catches attention or if it doesnt move at all or if it goes down. Same with speech, height, or other developmental issues. My son is a late talker...very late. But doc mentioned to me that as long as he was progressing, even if it was behind the other kids, then hes fine. Hes just a late bloomer. Keep that rule of thumb in your mind. SOunds like shes a healthy kid!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2009