Why is there so much fuss about the swine flu?

Every year approx. 36,000 people die from the flu in the U.S. So far there has only been 1 death from the swine flu and that was because the child had just come from Mexico. So, why is everyone panicking over the swine flu? Is there something that I am missing? I mean I understand that it is important to spread the word about the symptoms and such and I completely understand if there has been an outbreak in your area. But 98% of America will be untouched by this as long as they do things to avoid from getting sick (washing hands, coughing into your arm and not your hand, staying home when sick). So, why all the panicking?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 9:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Health

• The media coverage blowing it out of proportion. There was a small outbreak in 1976 and again in 1988. I wonder if it was as big of a deal back then.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Well I guess we all can not worry about it and do nothing about it and let it get out of hand until its to late! I'm not saying flat out be dumbass about it, but be cautious of it.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Soonmommyof3, I am not saying just completly ignore it but as long as you do normally everyday common sense things to avoid from getting sick then most people will be fine. I agree I think we should be cautious but I think that it is getting to the point of hysteria, which is not necessary.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Forget what the media is saying. Listen to the CDC and WHO. This particular strain H1N1 is particularly virulent. No one in the world has any immunity to it. For those reasons alone it is very hard to treat. Secondly it is spreading rapidly. The WHO has raised the Pandemic threat level to number 5 (the scale is 1-6). Theses are all very serious developments. CDC and WHO don't just raise alert levels because it sounds good. The exact same virus is now found in at least 13 countries (as of yesterday morning) In the US alone we went from 7 confirmed cases to 91 Wednesday morning. You may be somewhere that has been untouched yet. I am not there are now 4 confirmed cases in a 12 miles radius of my home. My kids haven't been to school in almost a week and won't be back before the 11th. That alone keeps me on the serious edge of my seat, not panicking, just seriously cautious and deeply concerned.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:42 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The media has a hand in it. That's the problem with almost everything...the media.

It does spread easily, but if there is no contact with anyone who has recently been to Mexico, no second degree contact (through school for example), usual precautions against infection are taken, etc...it is not likely one will contract it.

There is very good treatment if caught early. The one death in the US was a toddler who had just come from Mexico and the doctors said he also had other underlying health issues (pneumonia was mentioned)

I just called our pediatrician's office. I have two with asthma so anything respiratory makes me a little nervous. In a nutshell, if they get a bad cold with a fever...get them taken in, there is a test for it and their flu shots do offer NO protection.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:56 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Keeping kids at home? Is that because there are reported cases in and around your area? No one in GA is keeping kids at home. Its just life as usual here. Theres only 4 weeks left anyway.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• You can be a complete germaphobe and still get sick... You can't completely protect yourself form anything. That is a fact of life.

Soonmommyof3, I am not saying just completly ignore it but as long as you do normally everyday common sense things to avoid from getting sick then most people will be fine. I agree I think we should be cautious but I think that it is getting to the point of hysteria, which is not necessary
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 6:55 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I thought it was a good excuse for governments to get us to forget what an awful mess they've got us in financially, but having read re the threat level now 5 - it's obviously serious. I think it's a case of watch this space and take normal sensible precautions, I'm in Spain at the moment, in a tiny remote village, but someone came into the little post office, wearing a health mask yesterday, so now I'm trying to work out if it's worth getting them now - before there's a rush on. I wish I had shares in the mask market, I'd make a fortune!
    Goodnhappy

Answer by Goodnhappy at 7:18 AM on May. 1, 2009