At what point in the the 1st stages of labor did you decide to go to the hospital?

Are prenatal teacher said to stay at home until you no longer feel safe. However we have a 45 min drive. I'm just nervous we will not stay home long enough (b/c were nervous) or worse stay home to long. So how long did you feel it was still safe to stay home??

heatmac4

Asked by heatmac4 at 9:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You'll know. I know that sounds crazy but since pregnancy is different for everyone and everyone's pain threshhold is different...you'll know when you can't take anymore without help. I went to get checked out at my doc's office when I started having contractions that wouldn't stop and I was too early to deliver. Go to the hospital, stop the labor and start bedrest. Happened three times till I was able to finally have my son.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My water broke so I had to go right away. You just made a good point, we live 30 minutes away from my hospital. I guess I should talk to my doctor about when to come in in case my water doesn't break this time...
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:39 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My water broke at 1:30 am and I didn't go until 3:30 and it was pouring down rain so it took us about 45 minutes to get 20 minutes down the road. Once you cant stand the pain or they are about 7 minuets away I would go to avoid traffic and to make sure your there. Better safe then sorry and they will have you walk around the hospital and things to keep it going if you don't make progress in an hour.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I had an hour and a half drive. I left when I was having steady contractions. I hadn't ever had braxton-hicks and I was 2 days over my due date. So, when I had painful back contractions that didn't go away when I laid down, I went.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Well, I started actually feeling painful contractions at 6 AM, but slept until 7, by the time I got to the hospital it was 8, and my son was born at 10:55. (I had apparently been in labor most of the night, and didn't feel it) I went when they were... 4 minutes apart 30 seconds each. Talk to your doctor about how far apart the contractions should be, before you leave for a 45 minute drive.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:44 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• When they seemed like the weren't ending. LOL. That was with my first, my second, when I had a bloody show, my third,I was induced. I so did not like that. I would recommend trying not to get that done. I hope that helps.
    AIKsmom

Answer by AIKsmom at 10:56 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• well, why dont when you feel contractions just head into town, and kinda hang out and walk around for a while near the hospital so youll be right there if anything happens?
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:52 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I went after I knew it was "the real thing" and not just another BH party. A good rule of thumb is 4-1-1. When your contractions are 4 minutes apart (from the beginning of one to the beginning of the next) and last 1 minute over a period of 1 hour, that's a good time to head to the hospital.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 30, 2009