Swine Flu Question

From what I've read about Swine Flu it doesn't seem to be any more fatal than any other strand of flu. It seems like you just get sick and the flu runs it's course. Is this assumption correct or am I way off base? I guess I just don't understand all the concern about a possibility of getting the flu. Can someone tell me why I should be more concerned about catching swine flu than any other flu strain?

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 9:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You shouldn't be. Just take precautions like you normally would during flu and cold season.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:38 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• yes its just a different strain. people are dieing in mexico because they dont have the resources like we do here. just wash your hands A LOT, dont come in close contact with people you dont know, etc.. just use common sense, and if you do get it, stay home, keep the kids home and wait it out. Take lots of vitamin C and other vitamins that you usually would do if you have the regular flu.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• They're not sure. That's what it's looking like in America but they're not sure what's causing all the deaths in Mexico. We don't evne know if some parts of the population is more vulnerable than others because there is confusing data.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 9:39 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i'm not worried about it, but i see what it is possibly capable of doing, perhaps you just don't uderstand what it is capable of IF it does decide to ramp up to something more than just significant.

just ask yourself a question: when was the last time you saw the W.H.O. on television saying that something was iminent and has a classification to it as far as the level of severity or destruction? did you see that in any other regular flu seasons, you didn't see that during the bird flu problem either. you saw news bits about the bird flu but not the head of the W.H.O. making statements about the iminent problem.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I talked to a friend of mine who is an E.R. nurse. She said that when the original flu came to be, people were all in a tizzy too. She supposed that the people that died had compromised immune systems to begin with, and of course Mexico isn't known for their health care system.

If you listen to what the CDC is saying, its is all about washing hands, covering coughs, and everyday habits you should already be following.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 10:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I want to know why there isn't a "pandemic" or "epidemic" declared every year during flu season. 36,000 die every year in the US from the flu. We have had 1 death??

What about the 13,000 cases of TB last year??

I am thinking this new flu is a convenient "tool" for countries to use as a pandemic training exercise. Kind of a sad thought since some people are getting scared to death though.

Honestly, I am more afraid of my newly planted pansies getting killed by a late frost than I am this new flu.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yourspecialkid, LMAO! I agree!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:10 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• When the WHO raised it to level 5, they were thinking about third world countries, not just the US. They don't have the anti-virals to treat this so raising it to level 3 means they'll prepare getting supplies together for those other countries.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 11:47 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• So far it sounds just like that. Thousands of people die from the regular flu every year but you don't hear a peep out of the government.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yep, I agree with Yourspecialkid too. NO one here in GA is keeping their kids at home. LIfe is basically normal.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2009