What made you choose a midwife over an Ob-Gyn?

I have read quite a few women on here chose a midwife for their pregnancy instead of an ob-gyn. Can you still have a mid-wife if you are high risk and require a c-section? What is the cost difference for a midwife? Does insurance cover that?

I'm curious. In Houston it's not often heard of that women use midwives...at least not that I've seen.

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Honestly I felt like my OB didn't have my best interests at heart. He induced me when it was convenient for him. I got a huge episiotomy, which I don't think was necessary. I really felt like I was just one of the thousands of patients he had seen, not an individual.
    My midwife was GREAT. She listened to me and was supportive when I needed it. But she wasn't one to be rolled over either. When I was desperate to have my baby because I was so worn out and hormonal, she reassured me and refused to do the induction that I was begging her for. Which is exactly what she was supposed to do. When the time was right and my body was ready for induction then she did it.
    I just felt like she really cared about what was happening to me and my baby. I would recommend a midwife every time. They do work closely with OB's so if is a high risk pregnancy my midwife stays with the mom throughout going to all of the appt's to the OB. Good Luck.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• NO, a mid-wife can not take you if your high risk. They can only do women who are considered "normal." If at any time during the pregnancy you become high risk they will send you to a doctor they work along side of. If you require a c-section they can see you for basic appointments but they can not do the surgery to deliver so they tend to give you to a ob/gyn who can handle all your care. They are not doctors so they can not do all the things a doctor can. I had one as it was offered and our insurance paid for it but were military. Some insurance companies pay for it and they are usually cheaper unless its a private center. I don't know any midwife the continues on with high risk as its a risk to them as well and they can't do anything for you. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Pretty much what she said concerning the high risk and c-section part of your question. Our medical insurance does cover midwife but I don't know what the difference in cost is. I'm seeing the midwives at our hospital. The midwives are down one wing, the doctors are down the other. There are six midwives and I will have seen all of them at some point in the pregnancy because when it comes to the big day, whichever one of them is the on-call midwife will be the one that shows up. I can't request a certain one for the delivery so you have to see them all so that you'll have at least met the one that shows up at least once or twice. I'm sure I could have found a midwife in a private practice where I would have the same one every time, but the hospital is in our insurance plan and I don't care that much if I see a different one each time.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It all depends on the midwife. Midwives can do everything an OB can EXCEPT cesareans. For things that would require a cesarean, a midwife wouldn't see you. They also have a different version of high risk. Many midwives will attend breech, twin births etc... because while those are variations of normal they do not necessarily mean high risk.

Insurance covers many midwives/birth centers, you would have to find one and look it up etc. Sometimes you pay up front, then they bill insurance and refund you what they cover, etc. Some insurances cover only CNM (certified nurse midwives) but if those work in a hospital setting, they are most likely medwives... (ob's without the title).

If you are opting for a home birth, insurance may not cover and the cost depends on the area. For me here it's between 1500-3000 dollars. Way worth it in my opinion. I wouldn't give birth in a hospital unless medically necessary.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I have never met a mid wife that can do all what a OB does as they do not go to college for it. They take classes in a midwifery school. They are not trained to deal with extremely high risk and they can only prescribe certain medications to you during pregnancy if not they need a doctor to sign off on it or will ask you see the doctor. They may sit in during twin births and things but I have not met one that deals personally with the prenatal care unless its a basic appointment to check weight and measurements. We had 6 midwifes that all had 1 doctor whom was their "boss" in ways and if you were pregnant with twins or high risk they would send you to their partner for your care and would only do basic appointments. In the end, I had a doctor deliver my daughter as the midwife had just gone off call so I got the ob/gyn on call. It all depends on the medical reason your high risk, they can take you its nothing extreme.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:06 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• They also have a different version of high risk. Many midwives will attend breech, twin births etc... because while those are variations of normal they do not necessarily mean high risk.

You are right about their version of high risk being different than the ob's.

You know, at our hospital, the price may not differ between doctor and midwife. At my first appointment when I went to check-out, which was at a common area for both midwife and doctor patients, they gave me a sheet with the different prices on it. So that you could set up a payment plan if you didn't have insurance and they had three different prices. Vaginal birth, c-section, and vaginal after c-section and it didn't say whether the price for vaginal was any different if you had a doctor or midwife, so I think it may be the same at our hospital.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• brailyns mom: CNM's go to almost as much schooling as an OB. They are not trained in the surgical aspect of birth. I am not discussing midwives who work under OB's, of course the OB has more power. I am talking private practice, etc. They can take care of everything, and do so in more holistic/natural methods then OB's do.

You must not have met many midwives lol. CPMS and DEMS do ALL prenatal care. If an extra exam is needed, or extra testing, they refer the pregnant women to the proper facility for the test, then see the results. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:39 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I've gone to the midwives i have now for all my pregnancies and they do it all. Even high risk and cesarian! I guess it all depends on where you live. When i was in labor with my son they said it became high risk because there was meconium in the fluid and my midwife was still the one who delivered him not an OB. I personally chose midwives because i feel really close to them and they are very personable, they will sit down and go over everything with you and are open to whatever you want for your pregnancy and birthing experience.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:22 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• A midwife is not a surgeon so they will not do c-sections. You really would have to check with an individual midwife to see what their policies are. The care you receive from a midwife just seems to be much more personal, never rushed. They care about you as a human...not just as a patient or chart number. They are less likely to push interventions on you as well. Birth is a normal, natural process of life. It is not a disease that needs to be fixed. If there IS an emergency, a midwife will have you transfer to a hospital.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2009