• In the Spotlight:

If you have ever read the Bible (in portion or entirety) did you find it easy to understand?

Regardless of religion or beliefs, did you find it an easy to read and understand text?

Would you describe it as simple, clear, and easily comprehended?

If not, how did you attain understanding? (if you were inclined to seek understanding of it)

If you found it difficult, complex, or unclear, what are your thoughts on that?

If you found it simple, clear, & comprehendible, what do you think of that fact that not all agree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I took all the words at face value. I have been repeatedly accused of taking things out of context, but words are words. It says what it says and I have no desire to try to figure out how it's supposedly meant to be twisted so it's all good. I could easily read it and comprehend it to my understanding yet somehow my understanding is wrong. If this book was truly inspired by god, it should be to the point and clear to all. It should not be able to be twisted by anyone. Alas you seem to have to study it and cross reference everything. To me I know what I read, to a christian I have no clue. So how would you like me to answer this?? I know what it says and I am appalled.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The NIV and American standards are the easiest versions to understand. King James and the New King James are like greek. A good bible dictionary comes in handy too. A lot of the words and terms in the bible are outdated, big time. Good luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:02 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I have read the Bible sever times from cover to cover. I do not have it memorized and I am not claiming to be an expert on it. There are versions of the Bible that are easier to understand than others. If I ever had any questions I would ask a professor at the college I attended or a Father from my church.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 10:04 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Surprisingly yes.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:05 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I have read the Bible in it's entirety several times with several translations.

I can't say that I've ever had that much trouble with it to be honest with you. I went to a Christian school Kindergarten through 12th grade as well as attended a Christian university. I also attended church. So whenever I had a question or needed something explained, someone was there. We were also taught the history surrounding the Bible as well as about the nature and purpose of each individual book (the author, time it was written in, if it is figurative, poetic, historical ect.). I also believe that understanding comes more easily for those called by God to believe because his meaning is revealed to us when we read the Bible through the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit.

I also think this is why attending church is so important. If you want to learn more and are stuck in your reading, you can always ask a member or pastor for help.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:07 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I tried reading a bible (dont know what kind) when i was younger. WOW What did that last line say?!
    Then a few years ago I started reading a teen bible. I followed the stories very well.. but thats about it. Just seemed like short stories to me... I got to Psalms and for some reason stoped reading. I was hoping to read it entirely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I find the Bible easy to understand in most cases. But there are versus that allued me becuase I am not a Biblical scholar. Sometimes there is more behind the text and you have to know more about it to be able to completely understand it. I know that not everyone finds the Bible easy to comprehend - My DH for example - but I was raised with Bible verses being read to me. We had devotions at home, and Bible classes at school. I am very thankful that I can understand it. I can't imagine how much harder it would be learn about God if I couldn't. I prefer the King James Version of the Bible becuase it is what I grew up reading - I could understand it before I could even read it. I feel that KJV more clearly represents the original intent of the Word. If anyone is having trouble understanding something in there feel free to PM me and I would happy to help if I can =]
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 10:10 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i did not find it easy to understand.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:20 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I was raised in church and it was still very difficult for me. I had to look at different translations to find one I could understand well. I use the Holman Christian Standard translation!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If you read it with an open heart,and truly wanting to know God's word, then yes, it's easy to understand. God will give you the understanding, He knows your heart,and if you really want to know Him,or if you are just reading trying to find "inconsistencies" (there aren't any), or if you are just trying to prove it's "not real" ( it is). But, if your heart is truly in what He is saying to us through His written word,then it will all fall into place,and make perfect sense. I have read the Bible cover to cover the last 5 years,and am doing so this year,also. I do understand what I read, the only thing I find is that everytime I read, I find something I hadn't seen before. I know for a fact this is God giving me just what I need, just when I need it,and I'm grateful to Him for that. God's word never gets boring, never goes out of style,and always pertains to what we are going through in the world.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 30, 2009