Symptoms of a torn ACL in a chocolate lab?

Last night my 3 year old chocolate lab (50 lbs, not overweight at all) was chasing a ball down the hallway, came back on only 3 legs. She is starting to walk on the rear leg a little more this morning but I'm nervous she tore the ACL. Any thoughts (we're taking her to the vet later today)? If it is her ACL, would you try conservative treatment first or is surgery our only option? Help......

muptgirl

Asked by muptgirl at 10:11 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Pets

• You would notice swelling in the leg and a lot of heat if it were torn. She would yelp in pain and would not be putting pressure on it as her leg would give out. She probably just pulled a muscle or over extended her leg a little. I don't think there is any other treatment other than surgery to fix the tear if it is torn. Now if its a sprain they will tell you to have her rest and avoid her doing to much. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I agree with anon...if it was a true tear I don't think that she would walk on it at all...Usually the ACL is torn when a heavier dog jumps and comes down on the leg...50 lbs. isn't very heavy...if she was running, I bet she just stopped real hard and sprained it a little...my pit/lab mix did something similar a few weeks ago...was jumping and running at the dog next door and every time she would put weight on her front leg she would wimper. It was sprained, we just made her rest for a couple days and she was fine....

**If it is her ACL, would you try conservative treatment first or is surgery our only option? Help......**

A friend of mine has a 185 lb. bull mastiff who DID tear her ACL and she didn't have the money to have surgery so she actually used a wrap that we use in surgery and kept it snuggly wrapped for weeks until it healed, no jumping, running, anything like that...Im guessing that it wasn't a full tear
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:37 AM on May. 1, 2009

• cont....
    b/c those won't heal themselves...just see what the vet says and how bad it is torn if at all and just keep her comfortable...good luck...Let us know what happens....
    calliesmommie

• Thanks everyone! We took her to the vet and they said the joint seems stable, that it's probably just a pulled muscle or sprain. We're trying to keep her resting (not easy to do with an active dog) but it does seem to be improving..... Keep your fingers crossed!
    muptgirl

Answer by muptgirl at 9:30 AM on May. 1, 2009

• ** fingers crossed ** happy for you and you pup =)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:45 AM on May. 1, 2009