This is in reference to a question asked yesterday....

How old is too old for a stroller? Well, It was pointed out that letting them ride in one after age two, somehow makes them lazy and sedintary. I beg to differ...My son is 13 and will not stay in the house, he is always outside playing and running around. He is also only 77lbs. from being so dang active. However, he was allowed to ride in the stroller if he wanted all the way up to 5 or 6 years old. He wasn't forced to sit, but, he would tire out and be bored during all day outings. So, I always brought it and he had the choice to sit or walk or nap. He even climbs in the big part of the buggy at Wal-Mart now. So, I have to ask, how is that wrong or "messing him up", if he is active and not sedintary and has always been? Why should 2 be the magic cut-off? If it wasn't so taboo, he would probably want to ride even now. And I would be happy to have a basket to hold my purse and any bags. He is independent and not "sissyfied".

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 10:13 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• LMAO.... I have a 19 year old that isn't embarrassed to climb in the big part of the shopping cart.... irritates the s#i7 out of me. I say let 'em ride for as long as they want.... it's like OP said... they give out trying to keep up with us. (now my 19 year old..... he does it to embarrass me... he don't care... he wasn't retarded when I gave birth to him.... but sometimes I wonder).
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• my kids were out of strollers by the time they were 4
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:16 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I really want to know what makes it so bad for them if they are in one after the "society norm"? Has anyone seen any bad reprocusions from it? I haven't.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:19 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I think it's a personal choice really. I don't use strollers for shopping trips but I use them for garage saling or going to the zoo so if they get tired of walking (like you said) they've got a place to sit. They're allowed to walk around, but when they get tired they have the option. I'm not about to carry my kids around the zoo and break my back because they're tired of walking. And I'm not going to force them to walk until they collapse.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:20 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• my daughters 3, i take the stroller to the mall, zoo, aquarium anywhere we will be walking around for more than an hour or so, not only does it give her the option to sit down instead of me having to carry her b/c she is tired, but if she is misbehaving and not listening than she has to sit in it that way i'm not chasing her around and shes not destroying things. i'll continue to carry it around probably til shes about 5, i figure its better than carrying a sleeping kid around for an hour or so until i can get out of where ever i am at
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:23 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I think most people cut off at 2 because I think it helps a child begin to learn a small amount of independence. My step son is 2 and loves to walk, sometimes when it is closer to nap time and he would rather not walk my husband and I do pick him up. and if we were going to the zoo or something like that where there is a lot of walking we'd defiently use a stroller. I don't think that we will still be pushing him around at 5 but that's just me... I know that as a kid I loved riding in the shopping cart i'm not sure to what age is the normal cut off for that but i think thats more common at 5-6-7 year olds to cruise the carts than strollers.
    Countrymommy03

Answer by Countrymommy03 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• See, that is what I mean. I do like you. But, people yesterday were getting all pissy about it and acting like all kids should be out of a stroller if they can walk well. I think, why? Their legs are shorter and not as able, so, I wouldn't expect them to be able to endure like I can.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:24 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• People are very judgemental by nature. With me, once they were out of diapers and I didn't have to lug around a diaper bag, the stroller was obsolete.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:27 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• We haven't used one since our youngest was 3. It was just a pain to lug around.
    Our 12, almost 13 yr old is 5'4 and 117 lbs he would be horribly embarrassed to get in a cart or anything like that,lol Not to mention it would look kinda funny with a kid in the cart that's my height,lol I don't think it's gonna mess anyone up, it just might become a bit embarrassing for your teen. Unless of course he wants to ride in a cart, personally I wouldn't let him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Mine is only 4'10"...4in shorter than me. I don't make him. And, trust me, if he was embarassed, he wouldn't. Personally, I teach him to not care what anyone else thinks.
    I know..I ask this question like I care, but, I really wonder more than care. I would still do it with any other kids.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:46 AM on Apr. 30, 2009