Is there a nurse in the house?

My son lost his spleen at the age of 7. he is now 18. he has joined the army and leaving for boot camp in 10 days. of course im concerned about the swing flu, so i pulled his immunization records and realized his last meningacocal vacine (absoluely necessary vaccine for him to have) dated aug. of 98. I have called the E.R. they referred me to the health clinic. i called them, they referred me to his peditrician, they said hes 18...call a family dr., called them and they referred me back to the peditrician...WTF! so my question is...does any one know how often my son needs to take this vaccine? Im really angry right now, that i have to rely on my "Mom Buddies" for an answer...that the medical field is passing on....no wonder we are having an pnademic..is that what they are calling it....(SCREAM!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Health

• there is not a vaccine for the swine flu, so having his vaccines up to date will not affect that. he should do a full medical exam when he leaves, and the military will take care of anything he is behind on. as for worrying about him while he is gone and him contracting the virus, boot camp has medics sitting right there for everything, so he will get good care immediately if something happens.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:32 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Well he can inform the Army of his need for the vaccine and they will give it to him during his in-processing. They will need to see his medical records and will give him the vaccine if he needs it along with a million other ones.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• thanks Annon 10:32...this after all was a question about the vaccine not the swine flu...it was the swine flu that triggered me to look for his vaccine records. The army has all those records already. that was apart of him signing up. Good to know, i was worrying about if i should get him the vaccine. and when/if i did would that make him sick. hes not a complainer so he wouldnt tell his sargent that hes sick...but if they watch over that then he will be ok...im his mother, its hard to let someone else take over a job ive had for so long...LOL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• sorry i thought you were worried about him contracting the swine flu, i misunderstood the question then. they will keep a really close eye on him though. from what i know, they will check his vitals through out certain training excercises (this is marine/navy so i can't say for sure the army will be the same way). so he really should be fine health wise, if they see something that causes concern for them they will look at it. i know its gotta be hard but they'll keep an eye on him, the last thing they want is to train someone and have to stop training b/c of an injury or illness so they will do what they can to prevent it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:43 AM on Apr. 30, 2009