• In the Spotlight:

Birth control Mirena or Nuva ring?

What did you like or not like about these?

I'm really looking for specific things in birth control like convenience, weight gain and health risks. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with these methods?

sararsara

Asked by sararsara at 10:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Loved the nuvaring, at first. Then hated it. It gave me alll kinda of UTI's yeast infections, and was just painful I was peeing all the time like I was pregnant it was terrible and I only had it in for a month
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Hey Sara! It's Kelly :) The Mirena ROCKS!!!!! I had mine for nearly 3 years. No periods, No period symptoms. I got pregnant 3 weeks after it's removal. I plan to get another Mirena after i deliver this baby (if she EVER comes out!). I had no weight gain or negative side effect from the Mirena. I know everyone is different, but it was my BFF!
    kellybelly7570

Answer by kellybelly7570 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I had the nuva ring for 3 months and never had any problems =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I have been on both, my experiance with Nuva ring was not good, it came out somehow and I had no clue. I have been on MIrena for almost a year now and I really like it. I have had a few minor problems and once I had very sever cramping, burt other than that it has worked well for me. With two little ones and a chaotic life it's nice not to have to worry about having another baby until we are ready! Good Luck
    Tarabella

Answer by Tarabella at 10:51 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I like mirena. No mood swings, lighter periods & no worries of getting pregnant. I really enjoy it :)
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:01 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I hear that Mirena is great, if it doesn't fall out, or break. Which I have heard of both happening. When you're on your period you dilate a bit, and it falls out for some people like that. And I've heard a lot of people getting pregnant while using it too.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I'm on my second Mirena, and I've never tried Nuva Ring. I love Mirena, except that I've been spotting since it went in, and that was 6 months ago. Not bad spotting at this point, but spotting nonetheless. I don't know how I'd be about having to fish out something every few weeks. I don't have a problem with touching myself, but having to dig around doesn't seem like much fun for me. Mirena is actually more effective than a tubal ligation, which is a big draw for me, too. Either one has a good effectiveness rate.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Okay, thanks ladies! You've all made my decision so much easier..Mirena it is!
    sararsara

Answer by sararsara at 4:01 PM on Apr. 30, 2009