Daughters first birthday, is my train of thought screwed up?

okay so her birthday is coming, and I am deciding how much to limit myself on spending. Here lies the problem. I also have a step son, who we usually spend about 100.00 on for his birthday, BUT because his parents are separated he goes to his moms and gets tons more presents. I need to figure this out now so that it doesnt bite me in the ass when she gets older. Should she get more from us because her parents are still together and its not her fault that he has the advantage of getting double the presents? Please dont bash I really dont know what to do

LuvsDanika

Asked by LuvsDanika at 10:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would say maybe spend a little extra on her. I do see it from your point of view because if you were to spend 100.00 on him and mom would spend 100.00 on him he is having 200.00 spent on him while your daughter is only getting 100.00 spent. I dont think it should be about the "presents" but we all know kids and one day she will notice, and I know that for a fact because I come from a split family. My step sister gets everything she wants because her mom spends money on her like water and goes to the dollar store for us for our birthdays, shes done this since we were young and it pisses me right off.
    Anonymous

• I say spend the same on her that you do him. While he has the advantage of getting more gifts, she has the advantage of having both parents under the same roof. No amount of presents can make up for that.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• You spend equally on both kids. He gets a party with his mom and that side, then get's something from his dad, but your dd gets something from boths sides at the same time, it may seem like twice the amount but it isn't really...gosh I hope that made sense!

Plus your little girl is very young it won't even be years before she notices...if she ever does. The only time it will become a big deal is is the adults make it one, otherwise it will just be normal for her.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2009