How do you have your kids apologize to others?

My dd was never really mean! lol But my son (3 in July) thinks he is hot stuff and is just~ a little man!~ When he is mean to another kids I usually tell him what he did wrong and why and to say sorry and give a hug.....I am not sure if he realizes that he shouldn't do it again (because he does) or if it is just pure stubborness. Any other suggestions or ways?

FYI~ I don't do timeouts....they don't work.

nikkileerue

Asked by nikkileerue at 10:43 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've had to make my son apologize, but I'm not sure if he realizes why I made him do it. We were at the McDonalds play place and he and some older kid wanted to play with the same thing, and my ds pushed him. The kid fell over and started crying, but I could tell he was faking it! But I made mine say sorry and sit down for a couple of minutes. Yeah, he threw a fit, but after a bit he got over it and then he played nicely.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 11:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I make them say sorry and give a hug. I explain to them it was wrong. T
    mlwharton05

Answer by mlwharton05 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The boys have to say they are sorry, but we don't force them to give hugs. We don't feel it's necessarily okay for them to go hug another kid who might not want a hug...or who's parents might be teaching them that "strangers" shouldn't hug...even kids their own age.

There are also kids who don't do well with touch and don't like hugs...I have one of those. If another kid tries to hug him it sets him of into a major meltdown at times.

They have to go in time out until they are ready to apologize on their own. They know what they have to do...I send them to a corner, they stand there until they tell me "I'm ready to say I'm sorry" and then they have to tell the other kid they're sorry. (if they don't do it immediately after getting out of the corner, they go right back in) If the other kid is leaving for some reason, they have to apologize immediately and still spend some time in time out.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My nearly 3 yr old, can get aggressive at times. Possibly due to pending divorce and his family life not being normal. Either way, when he is mean, he gets a time out. It doesnt have to work, persay.. it is breaking them away from the action. I sit him on the step. Once he has calmed down, I explain that "hitting", "taking toys" or whatever is not nice. I often tell him when he is going into time out.. that he needs to "change his attitude". I dont actually do a time limit for how long. I just tell him when he can have a better attitude he is welcome to come out. Once this happens, which is pretty quick. He will come give me a hug and say sorry. I dont prompt this now. However when we first started. It was say "sorry and give person/child a hug". Typically, I make him give everyone a hug. Because even if his direct action only effected one person. His fit or attitude effected the group. Now, we are pretty good!
    Hottiehp21

Answer by Hottiehp21 at 4:06 PM on May. 3, 2009