Do you believe in spanking?

I am a spanker. I can admit it. I absolutely hate having to do it. My brothers laugh at me for my "ritual" when a spanking is coming. I preach to my son (age 7) about why his behavior caused the spanking, the spanking happens and then we preach again about what he could have done differently to prevent a future spanking.

My brothers ask me why it takes so long to do it my way but I prefer to be consistent and make sure my son understands why his actions cause a spanking and what can be done in the future to prevent it. I think the communication keeps Connor informed about what is to be expected and he is aware of what the consequences are.

Am I the only one parent that believes in talking in conjunction with spanking?

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree! And plan on doing that once I have my son (due in July). Like you said it's consistent and your son knows what is expected.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i believe it does works my mother done it to us and i do the same
    bmtmom01

Answer by bmtmom01 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I don't believe in spanking, but I suppose if you insist, at least you are discussing it and it sounds like you aren't doing it in anger, you wait and do it after the fact.... but again, I don't think I could ever hit my kids.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I don't think you can just spank a kid and not tell them how they screwed up. For me, I'd want to know what I did wrong so I won't do it again.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2009