Do you believe in spanking?

I believe in spanking. I was brought up to believe that if you handle the little things then the big things take care of themselves.

When I discipline my son I explain to him why his actions warrant a spanking, the spanking takes place and then we talk about what behavior needs to be changed so he doesn't get another spanking.

My brothers laugh at me since my way takes much longer than theirs. But I want my son to know the spanking isn't done to be mean, it's done to teach because I don't want him acting like a heathen and thinking he can be disruptive, rude , disrespectful and think he doesn't have to listen to adults or abide by rules.

Do you believe in spanking?

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 10:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• It depends on the situation. Sometimes, a spanking, but mostly we use time out. We let her sit there just a minute or so, and she gets really upset. Then we take her out and explain to her why she sat in the corner and she says sorry.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I have no problem with it. It's not the first course of action but there are times when I feel that is the only thing getting thru to them. There are times when I've actually had a child laugh at me for being put in time out. After a swat to the behind they didn't laugh anymore.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• absolutely not. i've seen a lot of moms on this site say it works for them, but i think, among other things, it validates violent behavior and encourages your child to fear you. fear and violence are two things that i definitely don't want in my house.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 1:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• asyoulikeit: There is a difference between fear in the terms of being scared and fear in terms of respect. Discipline is about respect. There is also a line that is drawn that divides discipline of children and child abuse. I think you are leaning more towards how spankings can lead, in some cases, to child abuse. There is a huge difference between the two. I have had mothers, especially those with no kids or those with kids that walk all over them, that spanking is child abuse, it's wrong and it's mean. This is where I disagree with that. There is such a thing as having a healthy fear where limits are taught so a child knows what is respectful and what is unacceptable.

But I see your point.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• hi lilbit,
    we'll have to agree to disagree. i don't believe there is such a thing as a healthy fear of a parent, but i definitely believe in setting limits and instilling respect for parents/adults. i just don't think of spanking as an effective way to do that. i've never physically disciplined my boy and he's just about the best behaved kid i've ever met. and as a child, i was never hit, so spanking is just not part of my idea of parenting.

it's an interesting discussion. i don't know any parents who spank so it's eye-opening for me to hear from moms who do.

and thanks for being so respectful in your reply! i know that when people disagree on message boards it's very easy to get nasty and you didn't. i'm glad i got the chance to give my point of view and to hear yours.

asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 1:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• asyoulikeit,

Likewise. I like to hear other people's views. You are correct, some people get downright rude when it comes to someone not sharing their opinion. Parents use what works for them and I, like you, have a very well behaved little man.

Enjoy your day. shake hand

lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 30, 2009