Any Nurses Out There?

I am interested in changing careers and more and more I am thinking of getting into the nursing field.

I have a few questions to find out if this is the right fit for me.....

What are the steps to becoming a nurse? How long does it take? What are the different kinds of nurses?

LadyChamp

Asked by LadyChamp at 11:05 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Health

• In my area at the local college you can become an RN in 3 years, provided you have completed the approximately 1 year of prerequisites. I will become an LVN in 3 semesters (I will start this fall, and graduate next summer). To begin this program you have either have you Nurses Assistant license for at least 1 year, or complete the class to become a nurses assistant (which takes 6 months at the college).

I hope that answered some of your questions - the best way for you to go about getting information would be to visit your local college and speak with a counselor there. They can give you the particulars for that school.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:58 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I am not a nurse but am on the way to becoming one.

All I can tell you is what it takes for my college.

What I am doing is becoming an LVN (Licensed Vocational Nurse). Now, that is one step below an R.N. and the class is significantly shorter. After I am done with that, I will be taking a class called "Bridge the gap" that covers everything I will need to know to become and RN. All in all doing it this way is going to save me time.

There are many different types of nurses - are you talking about the names or the types? Because there is a Registered Nurse (RN) and the LVN (some states call it something different - but it is the same thing). Then you have your different types - OB nurses, surgery nurses, ER nurses, etc. (I myself am going to be an trauma nurse).

I
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:56 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Thank you.

I would like to be a OB Nurse.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 12:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• When you go through your training, you will do cycles in all departments of the hospital. I am not sure, but I believe that it is when you apply for the job as an OB nurse that you will get more in-depth training through your job once you are hired.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2009