Any Nurses Out There?

I am interested in changing careers and more and more I am thinking of getting into the nursing field.

I have a few questions to find out if this is the right fit for me.....

What are the steps to becoming a nurse? How long does it take? What are the different kinds of nurses?

LadyChamp

Asked by LadyChamp at 11:07 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• BSN programs are offered at four year colleges & universities. Generally, you would do 2 years of pre-nursing classes, then apply to admission to the nursing program & spend another 2 years there. Master's programs are offered the same way only you have to be a BSN with experience to apply. They are 2-3 years in length. Nursing programs are traditionally very competitive. If you find a school that you want to attend, schedule an appointment to talk to the program coordinator. Find out exactly what they are looking for in their candidates. You may need to work as an NAC or in some other service type field (massage therapy or as a doula, for example) to gain experience. Best of luck to you as you begin this journey! I'm starting my pre-reqs this fall with the eventual goal of being a midwife so I am right there with you. Oh, make sure you fill out the FAFSA to see if you qualify for finc. aid or loans. Hugs!!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I'm not a nurse but my sister is so I know some of these answers. There are several types of nurses--A Nurse's Assistant (NAC), a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), a Registered Nurse (RN), & nurses who have a bachelor's or master's degree in nursing. They are called Nurses but their name badges will have their degree listed--BSN or MSN. There are also nurses who go from their BSN & complete a masters program in a specific discipline such as midwifery (CNM) or to become a nurse practitioner. NAC, LPN, and RN programs are usually offered at community colleges or trade schools. There is usually a list of prerequisitite classes (math, general science, psychology, etc) that are required before you can apply to the program. They usually take 1-2 years to complete. The NAC program is usually only a semester & there are very few prereqs. The LPN program is generally one year, the RN program 2 years. con't...
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Thanks!!!

Any suggestions on schools. Right now I live in York, PA, but I'm close to Baltimore, MD.
    Are there any good courses that can be taken online? Is that a good idea?
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 12:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I'm on the west coast so I don't know about any schools in PA or MD. I would try your local community college first. As far as online, you could probably do a lot of your pre-reqs online--English, math, psychology, nutrition & stuff like that & most likely through a community college or trade school. Lab classes like biology & anatomy will need to be done in person. I don't think there are any nursing schools online. There are just too many things that you have to learn in person. There just isn't a way to learn to put in an IV unless you actually do it. There are a few bachelors to masters online programs but you still have to do the nursing part in person.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yeah I ment to get the pre-reqs out of the way. I would much rather learn to do things in person anyway. I really think this is something I might look into. The only issue is, I've already started school for something COMPLETELY different and it's driving me nuts. I'm going to finish out this program because I only have 2 classes left, but I feel like I wasted years when I could have been doing this nursing thing.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 2:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• That's a tough one. Is there any way to translate any of your schooling into the medical field? Anything you do that is medical related--even being a hospital secretary--is going to help you get into nursing school. And maybe you can find a job that is flexible while you work on your pre-reqs?
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 7:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• That's what I'm hoping to do. I think I'll just finish out this program and find a job using the degree I picked up (Interior Design) and work on my Nursing goals. Thanks for the help!!! :-)
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 1:17 PM on May. 1, 2009