Choosing a day care

My cousin is going to have to put her son in day care after her maternity leave. She thought that her mom was going to watch him for her and that did not pan out, and I live too far away. (She is in CA and I am in WI)
What are some questions that you asked your daycare providers while searching for the best one?
What are some tips to help choose a good one?
I never had to go through this, so any help that I could pass on to her would be great.
Thanks in advance!

NewMommyin06

Asked by NewMommyin06 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Interview any potential daycare providers and be picky! I would ask tons of questions and see if they provide a journal of everything that went on during the day I myself am looking for a smaller home based daycare with less kids. Always always check into their certifications and I would look into the people themselves if it's an option I would pop in and check on things when I'm not expected to be there or have a relative do the same.... a good childcare provider won't mind at all you never can be to safe. In case things just aren't working and she wants to remove her child tell her to make sure the contract is a week or 2 weeks notice some daycares ask for a months notice and she doesn't want to be stuck paying for that.... good luck to her and to you for being a concerned friend!
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 12:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I used to work in a day care and I would advise to sit in the classroom that your child will be in. Observe the teacher with the children, make sure you feel comfortable. Most of all go with your gut instinct. Also look around the classroom and playground to make sure the day care keeps things clean.
    mindyf12

Answer by mindyf12 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_daycare-centers-overview_49.bc

Be sure to check out the "signs of a good day care" too.

My key things are:

1. Someone should be by the entrance (only one) at all times. Kids can sneak out (I've seen it!) and unknown people can sneak in.
    2. Diaper/potty area and kitchen must be clean/sanitary. They should clean the area after each child uses it/gets changed.
    3. Guests must be IDed before picking up your child and it must be in writing.
    4. small class sizes
    5. for infants, I recommend a center that has a room for little babies and one room for the ones that are crawling/walking so they don't climb all over the smaller ones.
    6. age appropriate toys. (ie no swings in the toddler room and no bit climbing toys in the infant room)
    Anonymous