What would you do if your kid came home from school with her hair cut and said one of her classmates did it. They are in the first grade

My daughter did not know if until she came home and I asked her what happened who cut her hair.She said the boy who sits next to her.So the teacher did not know about it until I went to the school the next day.

azoreesmom

Asked by azoreesmom at 11:10 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• As a teacher, this kind of thing happens once in a great while. You really should not blame the school and teacher, but the child and his actions. It sounds like you took care of business. I am beyond sure the teacher has her eyes more open to what can happen. In my class a child once hit the fire extinguisher off the wall, at dismissal. His hand swelled up and he had to go to the doctor right then. I did feel horrible, never even thought that something like that would happen, but it did. On the funny or not so funny side, my sister cut about 8 other kids hair with safety scissors at our babysitter's when we were young. My mom faced all those parents. LOL

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Um, take her to a salon and get it fixed
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:12 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It happens Mom. Mine cut her bangs off herself. UGH. Anyway, teachers can't see everything that goes on, unfortunately. You need to tell you daughter that she needs to tell the teacher when something like that happens, tell her not to be afraid to tell the teacher anything. Some kids are simply unsure or scared to approach the teacher. Make sure she knows it is okay!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My daughter is FAMOUS for cutting her own hair, and yes, she did it to another child, that was horrifying for me lol. Shit happens, it's common. Get her a cute new hair style
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:16 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Well, I would probably laugh first, depending on how funny it looked...then I would try and see how we could fix the situation (meaning a new hair cut/style). I am the type of person that doesn't get too angry over things like that because it really isn't worth it to me. You can't do anything about it, it is done and over with. However, I would tell my daughter (if I had one) not to let people cut her hair...and if a boy started doing that to her she would need to speak up and tell the teacher.
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 11:17 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• That would piss me off, it's one thing for your kid to cut his or her own hair, but to have another child cut your childs hair...I'm sorry...that is not ok. Did you talk to the other parents? Not that there is much you can do about it but maybe they can ground him or a the least sit down and talk to him and let him know that he better not ever do anything like thtat again!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yes, I did talk to the parent and she said she would take care of her son and she apologize to me and my daughter,
    azoreesmom

Answer by azoreesmom at 11:24 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Then all that can be done is done. It happens, it sucks, but it happens. If i were the tea
    cher I'd keep the siccors away from that kid for a while. Go get a new style for DD. I wouldn't make a big deal over it b/c well it happens.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I would be seriously pissed off and the school and the other child's parents would be hearing from me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I would be mad too hopefully the end result wasn't a mullet and you can take her in to get it fixed. If you already talked to the mom and to your daughters teacher that's about all you can do. It does happen you will laugh about it soon enough.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 12:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2009