Mommy and Daddy can't agree

My fiance and I are starting to talk about attending church on Sundays. He REALLY wants us to attend a Catholic church. He says he was raised Catholic, however his mother says he wasn't (although he did attend a Catholic church in high school). She seems to think its the tradition he's likes. I am not Catholic and do not wish to be Catholic. I prefer to worship at a non-denominational and more progressive church. I really want us to go to church because I believe it will bring us closer together as a family, but I don't know how to overcome this issue. Any suggestions?

HaydensMommy708

Asked by HaydensMommy708 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yea, go to mass one week and then a non-demoninational church the next, ti's not worth fighting over
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:28 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If you guys can't agree, I would say to not go at all. How confusing and stressful for the child...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It would have been a very good idea to have talked about this before a baby came into the mix. That being said relationships are all about compromise. He wants something and you want a diffrent thing. I would tell him that you will attend classes on the catholic religion to get a better understanding if he goes to the church you want until you can attend those classes. Usually they hold them in the fall and the last till Easter when people can decide to become catholic or not. Maybe enough time will pass and he will see he likes the church you picked. Or you can both attend the classes together maybe after learning more abut it he wont want to. Just because you take the classes dosent mean you will be catholic its there so people can ask questions and get to learn about the religion. I do think its a good idea you and your family attend church together. Hopefully you can find a happy medium.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• What is it about the Catholic church he likes? Is it the feeling try a episcipal they are close to the Catholic church as you can get the just mess up on one issue, homosexuality! in the USA anyway and women preachers but I believe they do get Born-Again like us Baptists.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My husband was or is Catholic. Do you notice though( no bashing) they do not know their Bible as well?Baptists are Bible reading and I really encourage you to encourage him to read the King James Bible no matter what church you all attend! Catholics are pro-life this I really like, but the whole prayers to Mary and the saints thing is wrong, only Jesus can forgive our sins and he is the only one we have to confess them too.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• oh here we go...
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Go to each one for a month and see where you feel more comfortable. If neither feel good try another one,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I was saved and baptized in a Non-Denominational Church. We had many people who had come from the Catholic Church,as well as any other denomination we could think of. You might check,and see if the Non-Denom you want to go to has any member who were of the Catholic faith,that he might be able to connect with. Worth a shot. God bless you both for wanting to go to church,and give your child a good start. Best wishes.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Okay....2mothershelpers....YOURE NOT HELPING! **respecfully sounding** I am a fan of the nondenominational progressive church, so thats my vote, but I know it doesnt count. LOL. I love the music and the real life applications they teach. I know nothing about catholocism. I wouldnt set foot in a southern baptist church because I believe them to be too legalistic. I guess I would just tell you to keep talking, keep talking, keep communicating about it. Compromise is whats going to have to happen. How about going with him to a catholic church, open your mind and your heart and then ask him questions. Why do you like this? What is it about it that makes you want our children involved? What do you feel in your heart when youre here? Then do the same thing with the other church. Im a big music lover and I couldnt attend a church that didnt hve every instrument available to rock out on!! LOL...JMO though
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Baptists arent the only denomination thats saved and born again. They arent the only BIble readers and they arent the only ones that like the KJV (actually for studying purposes, I do, but for general reading, I use others).
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2009