We just can't agree

My fiance and I are starting to talk about attending church on Sundays. He REALLY wants us to attend a Catholic church. He says he was raised Catholic, however his mother says he wasn't (although he did attend a Catholic church in high school). She seems to think its the tradition he's likes. I am not Catholic and do not wish to be Catholic. I prefer to worship at a non-denominational and more progressive church. I really want us to go to church because I believe it will bring us closer together as a family. Also, our daughter will be a year old soon and I really want her to be baptized soon. I don't know how to overcome this issue. Any suggestions?

HaydensMommy708

Asked by HaydensMommy708 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Has he tried a church of your liking yet? Not that it helps your argument with him, but I'm with you =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:29 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• can you do both? I personally am not catholic, I have attended some catholic churches though. There just seems that some are too traditional and it takes away from the relationship with God and the people iun the congregattion. Also there are many things I disagree with in the catholic church as well... but I don't think it hurts to try both.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Myabe you should just start trying different churches and see if you can compromise. Both of you can state why you want to go to church, what you are looking for in a church (church family, individual spiritual growth, people your age, a great kids program, traditional music...) lay it on the table what you are looking for and agree to look for a compomise without focusing on denomination. Keep an open mind and go to 10 churches and rate them when you get home. You may both have to give alittle and say you like the nursey and preacher and he likes the music and tradition and pick something you can both get into. Once you pick one then do everything to make it your "home" get involved in a small group bible study..let him sign up for passing out communion and start to meet people.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• You need to settle this before you get married and have a child. Try different churches together until you find one where you are both comfortable.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2009