Have you forgotten some of the lessons learned from Katrina?

That sometimes you may have to stay at home for a couple weeks and that sometimes you have to do things for yourselves, the government can't.
Some of the people in the north experienced this during our winter last year.
Be prepared for ANYTHING. Not just the flu.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Greensburg, Kansas and Parkersburg, Iowa has terrible tornadoes. A good section of Iowa flooded last summer and North Dakota flooded recently. I never heard those people blaming anyone for what happened to them. They lost everything the people in flood areas will have to start over. It sucks but we learn to be self sufficient, help each other and move on. We know Government is not going to do it all for us. I think there is not much of a lesson to learned from New Orleans. The people were warned the Mayor chose to not get the busses out and evacuate. The Govenor had funds released to her by the President and did nothing. Clinton and Bush had both given funds to fix the levies they used that money to fix up tourist areas. The lesson for our Gov should be don't give money to New Orleans unless it is heavily monitored.
    Anonymous

• my biggest question is have we lost the lessons from 9/11....we should be aware that anything could happen at anytime.katrina 9/11....its like we have lost the togetherness.we al banned to gether after these tragidies.not so much anymore.now we have the swine flu.i think we have to ban together as a country and as people.we have lost that....:(
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Seems lessons are meant to be forgotten. Or ignored........
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Lordy, I live in eastern NC. We have had Carmen, Camile, Hugo, Fran, Floyd, Bertha, Dennis and on and on. My son had to deal with Wilma in the FL Keys. FL had to dig out from Andrew. The Ucitan had Mitch. Why in heaven's name is Katrina the only hurricane people can think about. NC flooded after the Dennis-Floyd event. We had people out of their homes for a couple of years. We are missing whole neighborhoods. They are gone never to be rebuilt, and I never hear people worry over that. Floyd caused $3-5 billion in damages. What lessons have you forgotten from all of these? Give it a damn rest already.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Well I survived Hurricane Rita and I can honestly say I will NEVER EVER forget the lessons from Katrina or Rita. My generator is in storage, I have 10 gallons of gas in storage and food staples to last at least 2 months. Both of our vehicles are kept with a full tank of gas at all times. I have several gallons of water. Medication is well stocked. Our inverter is also ready if we need it for temporary use. etc. etc. etc.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Well, Jesse, since it was the most covered one, I used it as an example. With all your experience though you really don't have an excuse not to be prepared. Correct?
    Anonymous