Can anyone tell me about red#40 in foods?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They say that some kids that were diagnosed with ADHD really just had a bad reaction to Red #40. It's in almost everything that's red, and they say it's making our children CRAZY!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Some people react badly to it and its in just about EVERYTHING, even thing you don't expect. My son has reactions to it since a baby, every time someone gave him a red candy he'd have a meltdown compared to other colors (and he ate very little sweets) so I made the connection b/c red and meltdowns but not b/w its presence in everything and beh. issues to later.
    ALL common fruit snacks except Brach MOTTS applesauce and another BRACHS (all natural i think) have it. ALL FRUIT ROLL UPS. Most cereals, frozen breakfact items (even blueberry muffin tops) etc etc. have it.
    Just be ready to have a MUCH longer shopping experience for a while till you learn which can be trusted (and even then reread the labels every now and again)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Red 40 is a commonly used food coloring dye added to a variety of products. While it may make food esthetically pleasing in appearance, it can cause a negative reaction in those who consume it.
    Children are most often the ones who have sensitivity to red 40, whether or not their parents have realized it or not. Reactions include temper tantrums, hyperactivity, aggressive behavior, uncontrollable crying and screaming, kicking, nervousness, dizziness, inability to concentrate and sit still among other findings. Physically you may get frequent headaches or migraines, upset stomach and feel ill after ingesting this additive. Often when Red 40 is eliminated from the child's diet a remarkable change is noticed immediately.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/131963/is_the_red_40_food_dye_additive_

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I have one of those kids that turns from absolute angel to absolute devil-child when he has red dye #40 Lake. The worst, is Countrytime Pink Lemonade powder. If he has that, he is the most uncontrolable, screaming, crying, defiant child I have ever witnessed.Like he has mental issues. But, without it, he is a really great kid with no issues.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I have a child we think is allergic to red #40 (depending on amount). Hawaiian Punch is the worst he vomits from it immediately. Without thinking he had raspberry lemonade at Olive Garden minutes later we were in the bathroom (thankfully we made it in there). I thought this type of reaction was rare, but an older lady in the bathroom said she knew of a few children that are allergic to the red dye. The strange part is it seems to only be in the liquid form. Candy, fruit rolls jello type are tolerated by him. Has anyone else have a similar problem?

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 3:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yeah...the liquid is worse. My son never vomited from it. Only behavoiral changes. Candy or cereal or othrs foods give a milder version. The lemonade, like I said, is bad. Especially the Countrytime Pink, made from the powder.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• wow ive never heard of any of this but u know wut? recently i have been noticing alot of changes in my 21 month old- throwing tantrums- screaming fits and the such and i was wonderiing wut was going on- now after reading this post and all of the replies- and thinking back to wut he has been eating over the past few days- i think this might be wut is wrong with him- i am going to read labels and avoid red dye # 40 for the next week and see if thats wuts going on- thanks for bringing this to my attention ladies and whoever posted this question- i would never have known....
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yeah...it is craziness. Try to avoid all artificial color and flavor, then introduce them one at a time. You will have your culprit. Even soap, markers..anything they touch directly or ingest. I didn't thing about it until yesterday. My son is notorious for writing on his hand with markers. I said..NO MORE!!!! I never thought about it..I was wondering where else he was getting it, now I know.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Some people, especially kids have a bad reaction to it. My sister swears that she can taste it. This website has great information on foods, additives and kids: www.feingold.org.
    We do not buy foods with any ingredients we can't pronounce or that our great-grandmothers would not recognize.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I'd suggest natural foods and snacks. It can cause behavioral problems in some children. People say it's giving kids sugar that makes them hiper, but I think it's probably this spacific dye. Natural sugars won't make a child react in an over the top way.
    Clarkebar2

Answer by Clarkebar2 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2009