Birth Control Options

I am wondering about the Depo shot. My husbands insurance only covers BC pills, the shots, or Nuva Ring. They do not cover any other IUDs, etc.
I am terrible at taking the pill, I never remember.
Has any one been on the Depo shot? How did you like it? What were your side affects? Did you gain a lot of weight?
Any help would be great, I need to make a decision in a few weeks, and I am not sure where else to turn.
Thanks for any help.

NewMommyin06

Asked by NewMommyin06 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Health

• The shot was, IMO, terrible. I gained a lot of weight, had terrible mood swings, bled profusely for the first 3 months and then at random times for the next 2 years, no period was ever predictable and I would spot randomly. The only reason I kept on it was because, like you, I was terrible at remembering my pills and the patch gave me a rash.

I am now on the ring and I love it. I highly recommend it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:40 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• have you considered a diaphram? is that covered? I personally think the shot has too many hormones at once, I personally don't like to take hormones, and the diaphram has worked really well for me so far.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The diaphram is not covered.
    I really am at a loss here. I certainly can not afford to gain a lot of weight. Why can't they come up with something better???
    It is just all too frustrating.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Are you opposed to using the Nuva Ring? It is really simple and easy - you put it in, leave it for 3 weeks, take it out to have your period and after a week put a new one in. When inserted correctly you don't feel it (kinda like how you don't feel a tampon) and my SO (and my friends' SO's) say that, when inserted correctly, they can not feel it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I do not know that I am against it. I am just nervous about using it. I am worried about inserting it wrong, or having it be uncomfortable, etc.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I gained 40 lb on depo.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 6:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2009