What causes people tp hemorage whn givng birth?

I know my mom hemoraged and had to get lots of blood tranfusions, Im just wondering how to prevent this? Thanks

Asked by single_and_preg at 7:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• well I experienced blood loss because the lower half of my uterus would not contract down the way it was supposed to. There are meds they can have ready just in case. If this is something you are concerned about make sure you tell your doc. Also low iron and not enuff platelets will cause blood loss.

• 1 week after my son was born i suffered from a post partum hemmorage and almost died. i had to have shots in my thighs to try to stop the bleeding and when that didnt work (i was passing clots larger than my fist. my husband actually thought they had removed an organ) i ended up having a d&c. a tiny piece of the placenta was still left in my uterus. there was not really anything they could do to prevent it from happening. my bleeding really was normal until 1 week exactly after me giving birth. if it is something that runs in your family or that you are extremely concerned about tell your doc. talk to them about what they can do. when i had my daughter they had meds ready just in case i did hemmorage again, but everything was fine (possibly because she was 10 weeks early). Good luck!

Answer by mommybutterfly at 4:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• DD#1 tore my cervix really bad and I lost most of my blood. It made the recovery much longer--about 3 months.

Answer by ELnEMsMommy at 10:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2008